Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Information for new quilters >

Information for new quilters

Information for new quilters

Old 02-21-2014, 03:29 PM

Default Information for new quilters

Hi- Next Monday is the big day. I get to start teaching 11 students to quilt.
Thank you all who have helped. Being school was cancelled today- I got thinking some handouts would be nice for them. So I've been looking on the web, but I thought I would ask the experts here on the board. Which sites would provide the best information to print off for the students? Maybe there is something already on the board?

I already have one that has the terms and a rotary cutter one. But I'm looking for one on how to quilt.

Thank you in advance.

KarenR
Old 02-21-2014, 03:36 PM

You have 11 students - is this with adult education or through a quilt shop? If this is a very basic class before I would prepare a lot of handouts, find out what the students expect to learn. There are so many aspects of quilting and I am not sure which direction you are going. Hand quilting vs Machine Quilting. Piecing / Paper Piecing, Applique by hand or machine. Types of batting and what they do. That way you don't waste a lot of paper and they get what they need.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:40 PM

I think handouts are good. Maybe you could have a different one each class depending on what you're teaching. Maybe check some blogs,but be careful of copyright law.
Cindy
Old 02-21-2014, 03:45 PM

I will be teaching students in 8th-12th grade. They will learn how to read a simple pattern, pick material, cut using a rotary cutter and construct a quilt. They will also be making quilts for orphans.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:30 PM

With that age group I would hesitate to give them too much too soon. You don't want to overwhelm them with options. If you have a couple basis books to look through before and after the class, then they can let you know where their interests are.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:47 PM

Maybe a color chart/ color wheel. http://www.color-wheel-artist.com/su...wheel-hues.pdf
Old 02-23-2014, 02:08 AM

JoAnn's has some free flyers in store that may be helpful: Hand Needle Guide, Clothing Care Guide, Fiskars Scissors Guide, Machine Needles Guide, All About Pins Guide, Fiskar Rotary Cutter and others. Some are also online.

There are plenty of quick & easy projects on JoAnn's site, look under Idea Center. Good luck with your students.

Last edited by Havplenty; 02-23-2014 at 02:14 AM.