Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Inheriting more fabric

there are church's there are hospital's and nursing homes ready for allthe help they can get when it comes to quilts they are like magnets they will attract all who are in need. Holess shelter's and so on if you ask around at the doctor's office or the churches or united way red cross the list keeps going they all will take them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    How nice of you to consider others, with your fabric blessings.
    There are so many in need, where it will be appreciated.

Though I want you to consider first, if charity starts at home, in this case? Perhaps consider making quilts for your brother and any children/grand they have? Also her parents, siblings or close friends. Maybe memory quilts with photos included?

It could be a very touching gesture to give them quilts made from her stash.
    I agree completely!
    :thumbup:

It's nice of you to use the fabric to help others. Here in our city we have the Door of Hope. It's a place where women can go for help when they find out they are expecting.....sometimes they need encouragement. :) What about St. Jude? Or Quilts of Valor? Is there an orphanage anywhere close by? You could make quilts up for children then at Christmas time they could be donated to all the little children that are on the Angel trees to go along with what others give them. Does the Red Cross need any quilts? Womens Shelters? What about the elderly of your church?

Just brainstorming. Hope that's ok. ;)

Good luck and Thank you for doing for others. That's what we should all be doing. HUGS! :XD:

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Ingham
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    How nice of you to consider others, with your fabric blessings.
    There are so many in need, where it will be appreciated.

Though I want you to consider first, if charity starts at home, in this case? Perhaps consider making quilts for your brother and any children/grand they have? Also her parents, siblings or close friends. Maybe memory quilts with photos included?

It could be a very touching gesture to give them quilts made from her stash.
    I agree completely!
    :thumbup:
    Good idea too!

Our high school home ed class made pillowcase dresses for Africa. I donated a bunch of fabric and laces, etc to them. So many great ideas on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah12687
    This last week my sister in law passed away after many years of heart problems. My brother is giving me all her fabric and sewing notions and since she couldn't sew it all I feel I need to sew the quilts and donate them to a cherity. Can anyone give me some ideas were to donate these quilts that I will be making.
    Quilts of Valor. They donate quilts to our troops. I don't think we can Thank our troops enough. A quilt is a very small thank you for the service they give us.

Blog Entries
    I make quilts for the sleep center connected to our local hospital. They give them to the children from age 5 to 9. the cancer center won't allow things to be brought in. Maybe the local nursing homes, hospice . I think a great idea was already mentioned to make rembrance quilts for family from the fabric you received.

QuiltsForKids.org is a great organization and right now they are needing quilts themed for teenagers.

First of all, we are all sorry for your loss. It is never easy.

Also, I know we are way over here, but I am beginning a new quilting group at my school, and we could use anything you dont want to keep.

I posted regarding this in other sections of our board entitled "Starting a quilting group at my school" ifyou would like to look up the thread.

Ronald McDonald House in Mpls/St.Paul, Mn or the one in Rochester,Mn.I have a friend who has been staying at the one in Mpls/St.Paul. Her 15 yr. old daughter just had her pancreaous removed. She'll be in hospital 3-4 months. She's never known what a "day without pain is" The house is non-profit & can alwaays use items like this.

Blog Entries
    Deobrah 12687, Iíve read some but not all of the responses. So this may have been suggested already but check with your local food pantry, maybe a raffle quilt to raise funds for them.

Also Ami Sims does the Alzheimerís Art Quilt Initiative. They are all tiny quilts and something you could do quickly. http://www.alzquilts.org/

Edited: 98% of the funds raised for The Humane Society go directly to helping the animals. The Salvation Army donate 96% of every dollar directly to the cause. These are fantastic percentages.

Here's a list of organizations I posted a few weeks ago.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-118473-1.htm

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    This last week my sister in law passed away after many years of heart problems. My brother is giving me all her fabric and sewing notions and since she couldn't sew it all I feel I need to sew the quilts and donate them to a cherity. Can anyone give me some ideas were to donate these quilts that I will be making.
    quilts for kids, or the folks in the southern US or heck now that the Mississippi is flooding miles and miles of home I'm certain there is a need for quilts!

you could donate them to an Indian resveration I sent quilts too once.I now make quilts for the homeless that the police give out but they have no certain pattern maybe a name but I dont know what it is.I just sew pieces of fabric together .
    If you need an address just send me a mssage

There is always a need for qults/blankets. my gr dau's friend, from school lost all in a house fire. I was asking her if they could use blankets.
    She said, "Yes, they only have one blanket ,
    and her brother won't share it."
    I just took them up to the church that has the food pantry, they will see that those who really need them get them.
    My brother volunteered for "Helping hands" and he went in homes where people were using news papers, between blankets, to help keep warm with. Kids sleeping on the floor with no pillow or blanket
    So many needs out there.

Blog Entries
    If she died of cancer or some other disease make some and give them to that cause or like The Ronald McDonald House.

How about your local hospital, Hospice hospital resale shops. This is where I donate my quilts. The university hospital I make for are just 40x40 with some blocks solid pale colors. made only of cotton fabric. They give them to patients who are dying. They help them write messages to their family they are leaving behind. Than when the person passes the quilts are given to the family.
    For babies they put footprints and handprints on them.
    I delivery them about 3x a year.

The ones I donate to the hospital resale shop is offer for a raffle once a year. Beendoing that for 4 years

How about donating some of them to the people in Alabama & Mississippi. They first had the tornados & now flooding from the Mississippi river. I'm sure someone on here will know who to contact.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My brother wants to think about things first and as he wants to give back to those who helped him. He lives up near Duluth in a small town and they have been so good about helping him out. I am sure that some of the ladies that quilt would really enjoy the fabric.
    :-( So sorry for your loss. There are a lot of good suggestions here on the board. God bless you and your brother. BrendaK

If your want to go local, call your local nursing homes for lap quilts and also agencies that deal with children. Most courts contract with some sort of advocacy organization that look out for kids that need to be removed from their home because of abuse or neglect and something familiar that's their very own can be huge for such children. Good luck in your efforts. You are a kind and generous person.

quilts for kids is always in need

Blog Entries
    My husband and I volunteer at an all volunteer food pantry (The Committee Food Connection of Blount County). I have started to go thru items folks always sem to give over to me, sort them, bag it and put out for the 'clients' at the pantry to take Free. If you have to come into get food, you surely wouldn't have money for quilting stuff --- works wondres. I have seen ladies with tears in their eyes. They are so happy to get it all.
    ----------------------------
    Now THIS is one I'd never have thought of on my own. Thanks for the suggestion, it really does make sense. Especially for those "AHA!!" times when it finally sinks in that no way on earth will you ever use all that stuff, especially that (put in your own word here) ugly print/stripe/flower/seashells/etc that you have in your stash. And in each plastic bag could be a few hand needles and thread. I just rounded up all of mine and put them in a little fishing fly container and realized that I will never use up over a hundred of them of all sizes, since I freely acknowledge that I'm stubborn and stick to mostly one size!!

Saw a quilt and it was to be raffled off for Rely for Life, its an American Cancer Society event, to raise money for cancer research. The Quilt had a card on it " In Honor Of "etc. It was very touching, and the money will be put to good use.

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    Deborah why don't you make a quilt and raffle it off then use the money for the incurred expenses? Maybe a local quilt shop would be willing to let you display the quilt and help you sell the tickets.
    My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
    crafty_linda_b

My brother wants to think about things first and as he wants to give back to those who helped him. He lives up near Duluth in a small town and they have been so good about helping him out. I am sure that some of the ladies that quilt would really enjoy the fabric.

My quilt guild just celebrated today, ten years of making children't quilts for the Children's Hospital in Atanta. Each child is given a quit to take home with them... I can't begin to tell you how happy these children are to have a quilt of their very own. We place a label on the back with "Just For You", dated and the quilters first name. Your inherited fabric would go along way to make a child happy and do honor to your sister-in-law. Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast