Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? InkTense Bleeding >

? InkTense Bleeding

? InkTense Bleeding

Old 04-11-2013, 02:29 PM

Default ? InkTense Bleeding

I appreciate all the responses to a previous thread on InkTense and I think I've tried them all.

In this picture, there is bleeding, especially noticable on the red above the stem.
What's worked best is putting a prisma color pencil outline, wet the area with Golden Artist Colors
GAC-900 Fabric Painting Medium and while still wet, apply Inktense carefully. Then very carefully blend the colors with the Medium again. As you can see, it mostly works. I've treated the bleeds with a bleach pen near the selvage-did nothing but let the InkTense bleed more. Maybe I'm not careful enough and when I blend it, outside the Prisma Color gets a touch.
In the picture there is a water wet area. Please try to ignore that.

Any suggestions out there?[ATTACH=CONFIG]407437[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails inktense.jpg  
Old 04-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

Sorry it is bleeding because it looks great. This is a totally off the wall idea but I wonder if the mastic you use on canvas paintings would work on fabric? You could paint with a toothpick a thin line right outside all the sections and peel it off when the inks dried? You would need to try a sample to see if 1- it kept the inks from bleeding out and 2- will it peel off the fabric like it does paper/canvas?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:23 PM

I've been studying resists. Thanks for your suggestion
Old 04-12-2013, 03:20 AM

You know about dharmatrading.com, I'll bet? They might have a stop-flow that would work with Inktense. Hope you can find a solution -- your artwork is beautiful.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:41 AM

Have no clue about an answer, but that is lovely and will make a wonderful finished product. Sorry you are having a problem as that really dilutes your enthusiasm.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:53 AM

Have you tried the Inktense Outliner? It's supposed to act like a resist pencil...not water soluable and keeps the colors from spreading beyond the line. One artist's results of Inktense testing.
http://robertsloan2.hubpages.com/hub...olored-Pencils
Old 04-12-2013, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Have you tried the Inktense Outliner? It's supposed to act like a resist pencil...not water soluable and keeps the colors from spreading beyond the line. One artist's results of Inktense testing.
http://robertsloan2.hubpages.com/hub...olored-Pencils
Hane not tried the InkTense Outliner. Thanks for the link and hint. It just may be the answer! YEAH!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:34 AM

Dick Blick has the outliner, as you probably know. http://www.dickblick.com/items/22051-1031/

If you get one, please let us know how it works out. I'm just starting to play with Inktense and am truly loving them.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:40 AM

Speaking of Inktense ... Is it washable on fabric? Do you have to heat-set or use a medium for it?

I have some pencils for sketching but never thought to use them on fabric.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:19 PM

Tryed the outliner, some improvement. Found Delta Ceramcoat Textile Medium has less bleeding. 3 of us played with it in a class today with a lot of improvement. Doing more experimenting.

InkTense is washable once it has dried. Believe me, I've been trying to scrubb out the bleeding with no success; it's not budging, even with bleach. Somewhere I read to heat set it, but I've done that to mine and it's permanent.