Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inquiring about crazy quilts; >

Inquiring about crazy quilts;

Inquiring about crazy quilts;

Old 08-05-2014, 01:51 PM

I have a PBS video from Nancy Zimmerman, way back when, who indicates satins, silks, require stabilizer, denims, curdoroy require a 1/2 seam as oppose to 1/4 due to the fraying. According to nancy anything goes, stretch as you know require stabilizers.. My grandparents used any fabrics back then, wasted nothing... My grandma made a whole quilt out of silk and backing was feedsack.. Feedsack are former rice, flour, grains would come in huge grain bags and they would keep them, die them nowadays farmers use plastic synthethic material.. Maybe you could still find potatoes coming in bail twine type bags which was also used for batting in my youth..
Old 08-06-2014, 01:58 AM

I thought I read somewhere that quilts should not be stored in cedar chests or at least right next to the cedar. I think, if I remember correctly, that it can discolor the fabric.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:53 PM

I have a CQ block made....have lots of thread and embellishments...but have some questions on how to sew onto block without thread showing....how to add lace on seams....do you use hoops to embroidery with, etc. Sounds like you are doing some amazing work. I have tried to find someone in my area to get together with for a few hours but have not had any luck locating anyone. Thanks!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:21 PM

I have a CQ block made....have lots of thread and embellishments...but have some questions on how to sew onto block without thread showing....how to add lace on seams....do you use hoops to embroidery with, etc. Sounds like you are doing some amazing work. I have tried to find someone in my area to get together with for a few hours but have not had any luck locating anyone. Thanks!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:48 PM

Thanks everyone for so many great replies. I have a box of mixed fabric and trying to decide whether to try CQ or if they are worth passing on. CQ is not really my style as l don't think they would hold up as a comfort quilt, and they are mainly what I make. Need something that can be soiled and washed often, if necessary.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:00 AM

I've made scrappy, but used all quilting cottons. I am currently stocking up for another 'crazy' and the only fabric I personally wouldn't use is upholstery fabric or real flimsy 'dressy' type fabric (unless it is used as an overlay for accent). But I would probably use anything else in between?!!!
Old 08-07-2014, 04:16 AM

Don't forget that you can add men's ties, scraps of ribbon, crochet from old linens, pieces of lace and small charms.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:18 AM

Look up a video called Heath's World. I think it's from England or UK. He makes crazy quilts from cottons and uses the fancy stitches on his sewing machine for decoration. Looked a little sloppy to me but seemed to turn out fine. It's a fun video to watch. I believe it comes in four parts and it's free.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:40 AM

I've never made an entire crazy quilt, but have done purses and especially like making crazy Christmas ornaments. Since these aren't going to be washed, I throw everything but the kitchen sink into them, even old double knits and upholstery samples, along with scraps of laces and fringe, vintage buttons and beads, etc.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Scraplady View Post
I've never made an entire crazy quilt, but have done purses and especially like making crazy Christmas ornaments. Since these aren't going to be washed, I throw everything but the kitchen sink into them, even old double knits and upholstery samples, along with scraps of laces and fringe, vintage buttons and beads, etc.
Ohh, those sound really neat! I don't suppose you have any pictures you can post?