Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inquiry into a lift table for my sewing machine? >

Inquiry into a lift table for my sewing machine?

Inquiry into a lift table for my sewing machine?

Old 04-21-2017, 04:18 AM
anonymous

I bought the martelli table and love it. It goes up high enough that I am sure you could stand. It can even be adjusted by raising just one side. This is a cutting table too, so reaching the far side is much easier. The table is well made and comes with lots of goodies. I bought mine at the Houston show. I am just a happy customer, no affiliation with the company.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:52 AM

I have both the large and small Ikea adjustable tables. I use the large one for my cutting table, and the smaller for my sewing. I've not tried sewing standing up, but I have the table adjusted so I don't have to hunch over to see what I'm sewing. The smaller table is about 27" wide and the machine has to sit rather far forward, and I notice a bit more vibration because of that. Not enough to be bothersome though. However some machines may cause a lot more vibrations than my Juki 2010 does.

I do love the extra room I have behind the machine, I don't like stuff falling behind and piling up around my feet when chaining pieces.

We've brought in people to help with ergonomics at work. So I've used what I learned there to apply to my home situation. I also have a long arm, and raised that up a bit more than was is "recommended".

Part of my problem is my eyesight - I was hunching so I could see better.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:07 AM

Thanks to all who responded. I have gotten professional advice, my husband's occupation is in safety in the work place and he is trained in ergonomics. The PT is also very knowledgeable and talked with me about my limitations going forward. I had already been doing many of the things that he recommended . I will check into the standing tables that have been suggested. I mainly wanted to hear from those that were using standing lift tables as to one that will work with a machine.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:28 AM

and those are a generous size even though expensive
Old 04-21-2017, 09:45 PM

I would check out the Martelli adjustable tables, very pricey but they are nice
Old 04-21-2017, 11:08 PM

Don't forget about the chair you use for sewing. This is an individual fitting thing. For some chair arms are desirable, for others, not so much. One distinguised national teacher used an expensive office chair. I felt lucky it din't fit my body, because it was so expensive. I ended up with a Swopper. It was what the secretaries in the expensive office furniture and design place used. I love it because I have better posture with it and it is height adjustable.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:43 PM

I adjusted my machine by putting 2 rubber door stoppers under the back of the machine. It changed the angle just enough to make me stop leaning so far forward when I sew. I was getting very sore tight shoulder muscles and especially between my shoulder blades. It really helped a lot. I know you need more than this but it might help a little no matter what height your table is.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:19 AM

Macybaby- I looked at both of these tables at IKEA yesterday. Both are nice; have you had any issues with the electric one? I use a stand up desk at my job and really like it (not to mention the wellness aspect of not sitting all the time)
Thank you
Old 04-30-2017, 10:56 AM

I've been jonesing for a standup/adjustable desk - and here's a comparison that may help. Now I am jonesing for a Jarvis, and saving up for a basic model. I don't need the 'add-ons'. Only trouble is, I will have to get rid of something in order to welcome it to the house!

http://www.reviews.com/standing-desk/
Old 04-30-2017, 05:18 PM

K-roll, I saw that comparison article and I too am leaning toward the Full Jarvis. It seems to be the best for the price. I read too many reviews that did not recommend the Ikea desk. This is too much of an investment for a poor performing product.