Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Is inside out backwards or does it matter?

Blog Entries
    How do you keep track of the right and wrong side of fabric when the two look the same? Sometimes one side is slightly lighter, but what if it isn't? Do you mark which was inside the fold when the fabric was on the bolt? I've gone crazy, trying to keep track of which side is which!!!

Does it really matter? Is there actually a "wrong" side if both look the same?

Sometimes I use the 'wrong' side of the fabric because it looks better in the quilt I'm making.

Blog Entries
    If it's a solid woven, there may not be a difference, so you can use either side.

If it's a white on white, get a nice bright light to see the difference!

Blog Entries
    I can't tell the difference because of my eyesight. So I am no help. But it is a good question. :)

Usually, if the fibers are dyed before weaving, there isn't really a right (face) or wrong (back) side to the fabric.

Another way to differentiate between sides is the look at two pieces side by side in good light is there a change in color?

double post deleted

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    Sometimes I use the 'wrong' side of the fabric because it looks better in the quilt I'm making.
    Yes, I've done that as well.......when there is a difference.
    With some fabrics it seems I spend more time matching than sewing and then when they're all "right" side up, I'm always worried I'll switch one by accident.

My home ec teacher taught us to draw a big "X" on the reverse side before cutting, but we never sewed quilts with little bits. No quilts period, for that matter!

Blog Entries
    If I have to struggle to see the difference....It doesn't matter to me. My quilts are not show quality and I'm not a perfectionist. Do what seems right to you:)

I always figure, if I can't tell the difference, neither can anyone else! :)

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    If I have to struggle to see the difference....It doesn't matter to me. My quilts are not show quality and I'm not a perfectionist. Do what seems right to you:)
    Me, too. I'm working with 18 different fabrics in my quilt right now and can only tell on about 3. I have decided that it just doesn't matter.

I say...if you can't tell, nobody else will. Some fabrics are so close to being the same on both side.

Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    I always figure, if I can't tell the difference, neither can anyone else! :)
    Ditto! And sometimes I use the wrong side as the right side just for a shade variation.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by hperttula123
    I say...if you can't tell, nobody else will. Some fabrics are so close to being the same on both side.
    Especially batiks and some solids like Kona cottons.
    And some prints have a beautiful deep solid colid color on the back (such as many Jinny Beyer prints). I look for these in particular because with today's prices, I'd better be able to use the fabric both ways!

Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    i pay for both sides of my fabrics- and use both sides as they meet my needs- sometimes one side (works) better than the other- which ever works gets used-
    there is no (wrong)-just different

If you can't tell the difference - why would it matter?

Blog Entries
    I agree. If I have to fight to figure it out it doesn't matter. I saw post once that u should use wrong siDe occas to have a contrast.

I agree, if you can't tell the difference, why would it matter!

Blog Entries
    Sometimes you can tell by the weave...the back is usually "flatter" looking and the weave more pronounced in the front. If you want to use the same side consistently in your project, mark one side before you cut your pieces with a chalk pencil and use that as your back. I mark squiggly lines across mine, but any markings would do. It's much quicker and easier than to try to identify the front of each piece you handle.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    Sometimes you can tell by the weave...the back is usually "flatter" looking and the weave more pronounced in the front. If you want to use the same side consistently in your project, mark one side before you cut your pieces with a chalk pencil and use that as your back. I mark squiggly lines across mine, but any markings would do. It's much quicker and easier than to try to identify the front of each piece you handle.
    :thumbup: :thumbup:

The chalk markings should rub off by the time you are done with the pieces, too.

I think I would also try to be consistent about which side I used - even if i couldn't really tell the difference by glancing at the pieces.

Blog Entries
    I also use both sides, whichever meets my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i pay for both sides of my fabrics- and use both sides as they meet my needs- sometimes one side (works) better than the other- which ever works gets used-
    there is no (wrong)-just different
    Ditto! :P

Blog Entries
    I have to mark WOW fabrics because it is so difficult for me to tell the right side from the wrong side. Other than that, I don't worry about it.

Actually, you pay for both sides of the fabric, so you can use whichever you choose. I do try to use the same side on a quilt though

I have a block I had to take out and now need to put back in because it was wrong side up and showed, but only in daylight, not with artificial light. Next time I use fabric that close on both sides, I will definitely use the idea of marking the wrong side with chalk. Thanks for a great tip.

I am using a Chocolate Kona cotton right now and I have flipped and flipped and I cant tell the difference so I am just going with it.