Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inspiration from fabrics hanging out together >

Inspiration from fabrics hanging out together

Inspiration from fabrics hanging out together

Old 01-27-2016, 01:14 PM

Default Inspiration from fabrics hanging out together

Have you ever been inspired to use a color combo in a quilt after seeing your scraps or other fabric randomly lying around or stacked next to each other? This happened to me a few years ago.....an unlikely combination of turkey reds, cream, shades of olive....beautiful together! It began with a floral, a stripe and a star fabric. I continued to "gather" other fabrics from my stash that fit in, but so far have only enough for probably a 50 - 60" square finished. With a little fun shopping, I should be able to nicely add to the mix. Would like to hear any similar stories. ;-)
Old 01-27-2016, 02:35 PM

I had made the inner part of a quilt, but when it came to put on the border, I did not like what I had purchased. As I would shop for other quilts, I would see, and buy, what I thought would work for that quilt. I ended up with about 6-8 different fabrics, but still was not sold on any of them, even though they looked good together when I bought them. One day I had the top out and was searching for something. I mindlessly threw a piece of fabric on top of it as I was searching, and LOVED what I saw. I would never have bought that fabric for that top, but it looked so good together that I finished it. Only took a few years to get finished!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:31 AM

yngldy, thanks for sharing. Sometimes the fabrics seem to talk to us, giving us a nice surprise!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

I usually audition fabric up on a design wall to choose what speaks to me.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
Have you ever been inspired to use a color combo in a quilt after seeing your scraps or other fabric randomly lying around or stacked next to each other? This happened to me a few years ago.....an unlikely combination of turkey reds, cream, shades of olive....beautiful together! It began with a floral, a stripe and a star fabric. I continued to "gather" other fabrics from my stash that fit in, but so far have only enough for probably a 50 - 60" square finished. With a little fun shopping, I should be able to nicely add to the mix. Would like to hear any similar stories. ;-)
Yes! Some of my best fabric pairings have been happy accidents, from opening a drawer and catching sight of something, or tossing a piece of fabric down on another absentmindedly and then noticing how great they look together.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:51 AM

I buy lots of scrap cuts from my LQS. The price is right..40% off and I get lots of different pieces for my scrappy quilts. Most of these piece are WOF cuts ranging from 4 to 17 inches. (too short for them to cut into Fat Quarters for sale.) I love playing with the colors and finding combinations that go well together. I call it color therapy. I may never make the project, but it's fun to mix and match and hone the skill.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:55 AM

Not related but kinda, When I got ready to take care of my scraps ( Bonnie Hunter style) I noticed that my two most recent lap quilts had colors that matched. They both have light blue, navy blue, and orange. One also has yellow.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:55 AM

Thanks for asking the question LavenderBlues, several responses echoed what I have experienced. Glad I'm not alone. LOL Once in a while I have fabrics waiting to be put away and they 'grab' another fabric as I walk past to find the 'blue' box or the red drawer.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes that happens to/for me, too. A happy occurrence.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:51 PM

Your post makes me smile! I have a large drawer just for fabrics from my stash that grab one another. Sometimes there are only two in a grouping, but others may have 5 or more.
I shelve my fabrics by color or style; IE: border prints, stripes, large print florals, solids, etc. When putting fabric away, I like to run it by all the shelves if I have time and see if any of the prints jump out and grab the one in my hand. If so, I will put them together in the special drawer.
This way, when I need to make a quilt, I always have a place to start in pulling fabrics. And I love finding fabrics that "go with"!!