Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inspiration? >

Inspiration?

Inspiration?

Old 01-18-2018, 03:45 AM

I still find quite a bit of inspiration in magazines although not as much as previously. Quilting Arts and Primitive Quilts are, for me, more inspirational, although American Patchwork & Quilting often has patterns for quilts I want to make right away.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

When I was learning machine applique, I was told to look for kids coloring pages. There is a myriad of pictures on any subject. This is a wall hanging I made some time back for the minister's grandson.
Attached Thumbnails giddy-up-go-done.jpg  
Old 01-18-2018, 09:22 AM

Gay, you can search on Google and not allow any "hits" from Pintrest! I'm so glad I found this out here on the board.

How to not open pintrest when googling. Type "item –pintrest”. Note space after the item but not between “minus” and pintrest.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

I haven't read all the replies but have you checked Moda Bake Shop? I get tons of ideas there.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:32 AM

I did not know that about pinterest - I will definitely be trying that out! I had never heard of La Passacaglia before but it looks amazing- very inspired already, thanks everyone
Old 01-18-2018, 12:31 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Go to Google Images, that will take you to a bar where you can type in the words traditional quilts (or modern, or applique, or quilts with blue, etc., etc.,...) and using the previous suggestion, adding -pinterest following whatever you have typed, you will see many different quilt pictures for ideas. If you click on one of the pictures, that will often take you to a location where you can find out more about that particular quilt and/or others like it. So it's the Google Images you are looking for. (If you use google as your server, as I do, that Images option will show up on the home page in the upper right corner.)

Jan in VA
Old 01-18-2018, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

Pinterest is my primary mode of browsing for inspiration. It makes it very easy to look for specific ideas, such as "easy quilts" or "modern quilts" or "baby quilts". When I find something interesting, it is easy to save it to one of my pinterest folders. Most of the pictures I find on Pinterest have a "visit" button so I can see the website from which the photo originated. If I see "flickr" under the photo, I know that there will be no website and save myself checking.

I agree that when using Google, it is best to use -pinterest on searches. Google comes up with lots of pinterest photos that are in people's folders, so it can be impossible to locate the one photo you are interested in. However, that is a much different experience than setting up a Pinterest account and going to pinterest.com to search for ideas.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Gay, you can search on Google and not allow any "hits" from Pintrest! I'm so glad I found this out here on the board.

How to not open pintrest when googling. Type "item –pintrest”. Note space after the item but not between “minus” and pintrest.
I do this too
Old 01-18-2018, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post

i didn't know this trick...love this... Thank you!
Old 01-19-2018, 11:35 AM

Search YouTube lots of quilts and quilt relevant videos there. At www.crazymomquilts.blogspot.com every friday she has many links to other blogs of modern quilters.