Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Instrustions on washing quilts
>

Old 07-31-2007, 04:41 PM

Can anyone give me instructions on washing your quilts? Thanks, Joanne

Old 07-31-2007, 05:26 PM

All my quilts are made from cotton including the batting. I prewash and tumble dry all my materials before hand to reduce any shrinkage problems. I wash all my quilts in the machine, I use regular detergent, and line hang in the summer and maybe a few minutes of tumble dry to fluff. In the winter I just stick them in the dryer. I try not to wash them that often and haven't had any problems.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:10 PM

I wash all mine in the washer and dry in dryer. Some are very old and they turned out fine, of course they aren't washed often. Sometimes the ones that are left out I will put them on air in the dryer to get the dust out.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:18 PM

I prefer to take them to the laundromat and use the big front loaders. The agitator in a top loader is what might do damage to your quilt. If you have a front loader at home, that's really nice! :)
Old 07-31-2007, 07:01 PM

yes I do have a front loader and they are much easier on clothes, etc.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:51 PM

I was wondering about the washer since my first one goes in next week. What I was thinking is to use the gentle cycle and then air dry it in the machine for a short time before laying it out. I'd put it outside to air, but I live in LA off a major Boulevard and the soot from passing cars would dirty it up again before it had time to dry. Mind you it is a baby quilt and is fairly lightweight. Just wanting to get off the marks and see how it puffs up before sending it out. I suppose I'm worrying unnecessarily about the process, but hey, it's my first time (be gentle).
Old 08-04-2007, 01:36 PM

If this is a baby quilt you should be fine with washing in machine and drying it in the dryer. I wash and dry all my baby quilts and have not had a problem. Don't forget to post a pic to share.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:14 PM

It depends on the size and weight of the quilt, of course. I can use my supersize washer for regular sized quilts, but if there is anything bigger, you'd need a commercial machine. The drawback there is that you have no idea what was washed in them in the past. I have lots of "everyday" quilts, so I don't mind washing them. I usually dry them outside (flat on the trampoline, but I live in the country, yipee), but if you have a beauty of heirloom quality, I'd suggest a dry cleaners. If you wash at home, be sure that the detergent (less than normal amount) is completely dissolved before adding the quilt, using cold water. Drying in the dryer may fluff it up a little more, but I find that I need to rearrange it in the dryer a time or two to get it to dry evenly. Quilts from yesteryear were made to use, wash, use for years. But some of todays are pieces of art, and wouldn't want to take any chances. S.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:08 AM

I make sure of all of the quilts I make can be machine washed on the gentle or delicate cycle, with cold water, then machine dried.

I'd hate to give a baby quilt to someone if it couldn't be washed.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:15 AM

I never pre-wash, use cotton fabric and cotton batting. As soon as it's quilted and binding put on it goes in washer. The first time I use cold water and vinegar, then I wash again in cold water with soap, dry on reg heat. I like the puckery look. :? marie