Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Insurance is a MUST.. >

Insurance is a MUST..

Insurance is a MUST..

Old 01-04-2011, 06:09 PM

Personal Property is the classification on our insurance policy that covers most of our stuff. We learned the hard way in July, 2009, when we were burglarized and had to make a detail listing of items stolen. We thought we were covered well, but no. I have a 1899 dresser in which they STOLE one of the drawers which had jewelry in it along with memorabilia. Trying to remember each item in that drawer was hard.....still come up with items that were there. However, of the $40,000 plus they stole, we were covered for only about $8,000 since there was a maximum for jewelry and cash without an attachment to the policy for a greater amount. Thank God they could not get into the safe. We now have surveillance cameras, videos and a nice large locking gate to our property. Contact your insurance agent and get additional coverage for your hobbies!!!! Two model engines they stole from my husbands RC flying hobby totaled over $1400. and we had replacement value coverage. He got them replaced.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:11 PM

Thank you for the heads up. I just asked hubby if my sewing supplies were covered under our homeowners and he said he didn't know. I'm thinking I should take some pictures and send them to our insurance agent.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

All electronics, collections, antiques, etc, should be listed out separately and shown to your agent. It is surprising how much is NOT covered under a standard policy :(
Just some of the fabric stashes alone, may not be covered, not to mention multiple machines/supplies/misc.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:16 PM

Having been thru a situation where I needed to make an insurance claim...it was quite a hassle that I really wasn't prepared for...you need to keep detailed records of everything important to you, photo's or video is great and keep a copy or copies somewhere other than your house
Old 01-04-2011, 06:18 PM

i need to look into this
Old 01-04-2011, 06:24 PM

It is a very good reminder to all of us. Fire, burglary or any disaster could take a toll on us if we don't have pics, receipts, videos, etc. to back up our claims. I will make sure to check with our insurance carrier now to see what coverage I have for my machines, fabric, etc. Thank you for the reminder.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the reminder. It's easy to forget how much money we have invested in this hobby.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:35 PM

Marknfran, I know what you mean about Insurance, it's a must for everyone but especially for anybody with an expensive hobby that quilting is :!: In this topic http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-87346-1.htm I bought it up, the topic was very funny but there was a serious point.

In reading it I added up my spending on quilting since I started nigh on 6 years ago and it added up to over a staggering £7000/$10000 and I don't suppose it's much less now. If anything happened I could never ever replace these items quickly which would cause me a lot of distress as my quilting keeps me sane.

I spoke at great length to my Home Contents insurer and decided, at no great extra cost, to add "Accidental Insurance" which covers me, my dog and visitors accidents, I have also have my machine covered for when it take it to classes.

Even without us taking in our fabric stash, which runs into £/$100s if not £/$1000st the cost of the notions tools and machines would make sensible Insurance cover a necessity IMO.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Thank you for the heads up. I just asked hubby if my sewing supplies were covered under our homeowners and he said he didn't know. I'm thinking I should take some pictures and send them to our insurance agent.
Oh YES if I had the money INVESTED in machines like some have invested...I'd definitely be talking to my insurance agent when I purchased them.

Call your agents quilters!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:15 PM

It is of particular concern if you have a basement studio, many many homeowners policies limit the value of the basement contents. In my area there was a flood about 10 years ago , and the insurance companies lobbied to change the laws , to exclude or limit basements. Much of the damage was from sump pump failure since there was a power outage at the same time which is differnent from flood damage. Just a word of caution be very specifc when you discuss with your agent. Mine first told me "of course you are covered" till I started detailing the contents, the value , and the location of my "investment". When in doubt if you think there still is a some question ... ask them to put it in writing IE letter , policy amendment etc.