Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Insurance on Quilts >

Insurance on Quilts

Insurance on Quilts

Old 12-20-2010, 05:35 PM

I've just looked at Karenfae's "Finished my second Dear Jane top!" post in this section. The quilt is absolutely beautiful, and I cannot imagine how many hours it took to just piece the top. What I am wondering is, if you have a spectacular quilt like this, do you insure it? This is one of those almost never achievable quilts to me and I just wondered if any of you took out extra insurance on something like this? It's amazing.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

If I owned quilts like some I have seen, I would definitely take out the extra insurance for them :D:D:D
Old 12-20-2010, 09:09 PM

I just need insurance on my stash!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 PM

I would definitely insure my quilt you put a lot of time and money on a beautiful quilt it is a treasure that would be very hard to replace.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:28 PM

Funny this came up, I met with my insurance agent today.

Insurance will only pay on a completed quilt if there is an appraisal. On your incomplete quilts, the insurance is on the value of your fabrics IF you have receipts.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Shelley

Insurance will only pay on a completed quilt if there is an appraisal. On your incomplete quilts, the insurance is on the value of your fabrics IF you have receipts.
Oh my... Well, if I ever happened to be GIVEN a DJ or Cathedral Window or something (to me) that is really spectacular (cause I know I'd never get one done myself) it would definitely be worth getting an appraisal... But then, that surely wouldn't cover the real cost of your time. You can't put a price on that.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:41 AM

I give most all of my quilts away, thereby leaving the insurance question to the recipient! The few I keep are mostly scrap quilts so it wouldn't be difficult to do more.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:57 AM

Shelley, do you then have to have it covered as a rider on your homeowner's insurance, like jewelry or art, or what?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:05 AM

I talked to my insurance agent about this, he said I had to have each quilt appraised for the value. It was a good ides to keep all reciepts for the fabric, too.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider

Shelley, do you then have to have it covered as a rider on your homeowner's insurance, like jewelry or art, or what?
I would assume so. My question to the insurance agent was mostly for customer quilt tops in my possession. This is why I'm usually booked out for several months, but I try not to have the quilts in the studio for much more than a couple weeks before the month they are scheduled.

On professional LA sites, this issue has been discussed a lot. Get your special quilts appraised by a certified quilt appraiser. This is especially important if you are shipping a quilt to a quilt show. You can buy all the insurance you want - but they won't pay without an appraisal.