Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
interesting tidbit >

interesting tidbit

interesting tidbit

Old 05-10-2010, 05:15 AM

and all done w/o air conditioning... we are such spoiled wimps aren't we!!!
Old 05-10-2010, 05:22 AM

....Yes, I taught in Mineola. If you ever get to the City...
dotcomdtcm

Lived in CP 'til college and marriage... world is getting smaller! Come back to LI only once a year, if that, and try to avoid the city traffic. Would love to visit the museums again and get a feel of the city life, noise, smells, etc. Have friends and couple relatives there too! Ahhhhhhhh.....
Old 05-10-2010, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
Yes, I taught in Mineola. If you ever get to the City...
Lived in CP 'til college and marriage... world is getting smaller! Come back to LI only once a year, if that, and try to avoid the city traffic. Would love to visit the museums again and get a feel of the city life, noise, smells, etc. Have friends and couple relatives there too! Ahhhhhhhh.....
Old 05-10-2010, 05:32 AM

You have to go to Brooklyn & look at the Dinner Party at least once a year! Now that I am retired I only go to Long Island for a big event & my dentist. One lane on the Triboro Bridge should be named for me. 38 years of commuting. I am giddy with free time. But I do miss Joann's.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:00 AM

I love the way people used to recycle things. My mom saved used wrapping paper especially at Christmas. Each year she'd just wrap a smaller gift in it. My BIL thought that was the most horrible thing he'd ever seen so she made sure that his gift was wrapped in the most wrinkly. LOL Sometimes if the gift was for someone special she'd iron the wrinkles out. I still tea dye fabrics if I want to tone down their brightness. My DD got hot chocolate on a new bright yellow sweatshirt and I didn't know about it, washed and dried it. Since it was already set in we made some more hot chocolate and purposely spot "dyed" her shirt. She thinks it's hilarious when people remark on her beautiful shirt and ask where she found one like that.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

All of this is too much trouble for me. Glad others enjoy stuff like this.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB
I would love to make a quilt using only natural dyes. I wonder if using a good quality white muslin would work. I think it is something to put on my "Someday I will make this" list.

Blueberries for blue
Yellow onion skins for yellow
Red onion skins for red........
Sherri,
We grew some "garden huckleberries" a few years ago. They were nothing too exciting as far as food went (I made some jam with them), but they made a stunning purple dye. They are heavy producers, and the berries freeze very well, so you can store some for later projects.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Banned

that is just great to hear, thank you again for the information. God bless. Penny
Old 05-13-2010, 04:56 AM

Mustard worked really well for me, and you can make your own design. To set it, put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes with waxed paper over the mustard, just fold carefully so you dont loose your design! I have also used the onion skins, berries, and Kool-Aid, they all have worked for me.