Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Interwoven pattern from PatternJam >

Interwoven pattern from PatternJam

Interwoven pattern from PatternJam

Old 09-17-2020, 01:04 PM

Location: In a lovely lakeside community in the foothills of the Ozark Mtns.
Question Interwoven pattern from PatternJam

I downloaded this pattern and there are no directions. Has anyone made this quilt? And what size were you squares? I guess I can figure out the configuration, but would so appreciate some input.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:56 PM
Gay

I tried this download and only got fabrics needed, and to cut into 8 7/8" squares. Can only guess one must make HSTs ( 95 or 97 sqs of all 4 colors). There is a quilt-along here where you can go to each block. You could make the HSTs any size you like I imagine - smaller blocks just means more work. This might be one for my 'one day' list.
Going by the size - 98x130 - each HST is 8" finished.

https://quiltingpatch.blogspot.com/p/quilt-along-tri-hst.html

Last edited by Gay; 09-17-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:12 PM

The finished quilt size is 98" x 130". There are 12 x 16 blocks in the layout. Allowing for a 1" border, that gives a block size of 8" (finished), which matches up with the 8 7/8" squares it says to cut.

Personally, I would cut squares at least 9" and then trim them down to size.

To make the half square triangles, put two squares together. Draw a diagonal line from one to corner to the opposite one. Sew on either side of the line, 1/4" away. Cut along the line. You now have two half square triangles. Open each one up and trim to 8 1/5" size. Here is a good illustration of the method.

You'll need to look at the picture and count up how many of each type of half square triangles you need:
1) White and light blue
2) White and medium blue
3) White and dark blue
4) Light blue and medium blue
5) Light blue and dark blue
6) Medium blue and dark blue

Sew a bunch of the half square triangles and then start laying them out to match the picture. Sew the blocks in one row together. Do another row. Sew the two rows together. Repeat until whole quilt is together.

Personally, I would sew about half of the needed half square triangles together and then assemble them into a partial quilt and then do a few more smaller batches to complete the quilt, as this would help reduce the chances of accidentally sewing too many of one color combination of half square triangles.

Once all the blocks are assembled into the quilt, add the border on all four sides.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:30 AM

If you use the link Gay gave, it is a Quilt Along and gives you all the instructions.

I'd be using the 8 at a time method for making this many HST's and making them oversize to cut down.

Watson
Old 09-18-2020, 12:42 PM

Thank you for this information. I would also use the 8 at a time method. My question is whether 8" blocks would be too large. I had thought to do 6" and repeat to make the correct size. Any ideas about that?
Old 09-18-2020, 12:46 PM

Thanks, Gay, for all of that! I have looked at the quilt along. I've never done that, so really don't know how to participate. I did send a msg. so perhaps someone will give instructions. I appreciate your input. I had just been a bit concerned about 8" blocks.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:51 PM

WOW!! I just got into the quilt along, and she tells me everything! Thanks so much to all who replied. It is so helpful to get others' opinions!