Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Invisible thread >

Invisible thread

Invisible thread

Old 11-03-2014, 02:18 AM

Default Invisible thread

Is it possible to use this as bobbin thread as well as top thread? I just found that the quilting of the centre panel on a quilt I'm working on has wrecked the embroidered poem that's on the reverse. I've thought about covering this with another copy of the poem but will need to secure it down. As I don't want to spoil the top quilting I wondered about using invisible thread which wouldn't be so intrusive as coloured. Perhaps I should hand stitch it down? Its a bit frustrating as the poem took ages to do but it's entirely my own stupidity for placing it there in the first place.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:28 AM

You can put it in a bobbin, but I wouldn't use it for any stitching besides a slow speed. I have used it in a bobbin to blind hem when didn't have matching color of dress. My Pfaff has a slow sew button.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:52 AM

I have used it in bobbin. I find it better to wind i the bobbin slow.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Yes, wind the bobbin slowly & if you can lower the tension while winding, do that too. You want to make sure that you don't stretch the thread while winding.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:25 AM

Thank you.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:48 AM

I think it worked. Underneath the poem is in pastel blue but with all the lines from the stonework which had specks of red from the top visible, it looked horrendous. The stitching from the frame isn't particularly noticeable on the church and I'm hoping the rest of the quilting makes the lines through the white surround less noticeable. I used bonding stuff so that the poem won't need any quilting. An awful amount of faffing about though.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 11-03-2014, 09:25 AM
amh

I was very reluctant to try invisible thread, but I was at a quilting retreat and was going to abandon my project as I was going to need many colors of thread to get the effect I wanted, and didn't have them because I was at a retreat. One of the ladies there said "Try this." It was invisible thread. I reluctantly tried it, and it was wonderful. On that occasion I was doing top stitching and left normal thread in the bobbin.

Since that time, I have used invisible thread in the bobbin for FMQ, and I love it. It doesn't seem to show the mistakes on the back the same, and so much fits on the bobbin that you don't have to continually be winding bobbins.

I have never tried invisible thread top and bottom. I'll be interested to see what others say.

amh
Old 11-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

Most of the tricks involved with using invisible thread have been mentioned. The changes are necessary because invisible thread stretches more than other threads. This is what works for me: lower upper tension, wind bobbin slowly, wind bobbin only 3/4ths full (especially with plastic bobbins, winding more than that can distort the bobbin just enough to create problems). Also, it's very important to make sure the top thread is feeding properly. I use a thread guide behind my sewing machi

p.s. LOVE the quilt!
Old 11-03-2014, 02:22 PM

I recently took a class from a nationally known and award winning quilter. She had us use invisible thread in both the top and bobbin. I had always heard using it in the bobbin was a no-no but it worked great. She said she has talked with reps from almost all major machine brands and everyone said it was ok to do so. We did not adjust our tension at all but as mentioned, did wind the bobbin slowly.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:07 PM

It will work if you are patient. But be very careful winding the bobbin. Especially if its plastic. Them little things WILL explode. Ask me how I know.