Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Invisigrip

I use it on older rulers. I like it .

Haven't tried it. I like the sandpaper dots okay. But my favorite is the Creative Grid rulers with circles that grip.
    Peace

Great tip about the Nexcare Flexible Clear Tape! I'm going to try that asap.

Blog Entries
    I have it on all my rulers. See through, grips enough, but not too much and has lasted years.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I use it on several of my rulers and it works very well. I've had it on these rulers for several years and still holding up. I do use sandpaper dots on my small rulers (like Marti Michells templates).
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

I first bought the little clear dots and also the sandpaper dots. They works well but what I did not like about them - with the clear dots - the rulers edge was not completely flat on the fabric while the sandpaper dots were always "blocking" something that I was trying to see.

Which leads me to my most recent find... Rubber Cement (OK before you international folks ask - I am told by others that in some places it is not easily available outside the US). I went to a Machine Quilters Expo in Providence RI and had taken a class on longarming with Dustin Farrell and he suggested using it. I tried it and love it. When it gets nasty with thread it rubs off nicely and gets a new coat. You can see through it, the ruler lays flat and grips perfectly. I apply it and let it sit until it drys before using the ruler. AND did I include cheap?? LOL
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

I use it on every single one of my rulers and love it! For me, it makes a huge difference in how well I cut.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    I have used it. I think it works well for smaller rulers, like a 6.5" square up or a longer narrow one, I tried it on a large ruler (6X24) and didn't think it helped much. I really like sand paper dots, but they always seem to be right where I'm trying to line something up.
    My experience with Invisigrip duplicates PaperPrincess's experience. I now only use Invisigrip on smaller rulers and use sand paper dots for everything else. I've even put sandpaper dots on top of Invisigrip if the rules was still slipping, and that worked.
    CMC

I like, but I do not love it because sometimes my rulers still slip. I used to use stick-on rubber circles on the corners, but they are fairly thick and I was cutting at an angle sometimes - under the ruler and getting an inaccurate cut. With anything that raises the ruler up off the cutting surface, it is essential that the blade be completely straight. Having failed that requirement more than a few times, I pulled all the rubbers off my rulers (leaving behind sticky glue to clean off) and now have Invisigrip on them, with the exception of some specialized templates from Shar (Quilting From the Heartland); she includes little felt circles and I use those because they are thin. She also has no lines on those templates so there is not the issue of covering up markings.

I spray the back of my rulers with basting spray, then lightly rub the excess off. It grips the fabric fairly well. The first few times you use it, it grips too well, but after that it grips just right.

And, of course, if you don't like it, you can wash it off.

T.
    Yes, I like the dots too, I have them on some of my rulers. I they clear so you can still see through. I tried this sheet that you peel & apply on your rulers (are they invigrip?, don't know what's called); mine peel at the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    I have clear dots (pre-made - not drops of glue) on the corner of my rulers. They work really well. Too well, sometimes!

I love it and highly recommend it. In addition it keeps the back of your ruler new and easy to read I have a problem of wearing off the numbering or the yellow lines can't tell you how many rulers I have done that to they tend to last with invisigrip and then they don't slid!

What also works well and I got the tip from a LA teacher is use the skateboard mini-logo gripper tape. On their website, it's $5 for 9 x 33 piece and you don't need that much. It does scratch acrylic, but holds to the fabric with no damage.

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie View Post
    I tried Invisigrip and my rulers still slide. I find that TrueGrips works best for me. They are clear circles that look like reinforcements and can be placed anywhere on the rulers.
    I have the TrueGrips on my rulers and they work great. Also found that you can use the centers of the circles for the smaller rulers and can cut up anything left-over into pieces that are useable. That way, you don't waste any of the silicone fabric. They are easily moved, but don't obstruct any lines on the rules or patterns on the fabric the way sandpaper dots do. Haven't tried dabs of hot glue, but will next time I run out of TrueGrips pieces.
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

I have it on my rulers and love it .

Blog Entries
    I have it on all my rulers. I finally figured out that those of us with small hands need it much more. My friend who is taller and has larger hands never uses anything on her rulers
    Patski
    always learning

Quote Originally Posted by fabricfairy View Post
    I have it on my rulers and love it .
    ditto
    Annie

For my larger rulers, I use a hand-grip (spring action) and clamp one end of the ruler to the cutting board and then just apply pressure to the upper 1/3 while I am cutting, and it works like a charm, no slipping. For my 24 inch ruler and thicker fabric, I have used a clamp on both ends to hold the ruler taut and they hold firm without problems. I got them at Harbor Freight for a couple dollars each.

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

I tried it for my rulers and they still slide like nothing is there. After reading of all those who love it, I'm stumped. Can't imagine what in the world I could be doing wrong! I've been thinking of doing rubber cement now. Oh, I have a Lipfa ruler I love! That lip makes such a difference!
    In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:6

I have had excellent results with Invisi-Grip, and agree that Creative Grids rulers are so good they need no assistance to prevent slipping. However, I am surprised no one has mentioned the following solution to slipping or moving rulers: cut small pieces of rubber shelving sheeting and position two of them under different parts of the ruler between the ruler and cutting mat (NOT on the fabric being cut). Pressing firmly as usual keeps the ruler from slipping as it adheres to the cutting mat and is flush with the fabric being cut. Keep these rubber shelving scraps everywhere -- on your cutting mat, in your traveling tools bag, with your machine, and you will always have grips under your rulers when you need to cut fabric.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie View Post
    I tried Invisigrip and my rulers still slide. I find that TrueGrips works best for me. They are clear circles that look like reinforcements and can be placed anywhere on the rulers.
    These are what I use and like much better than invisigrip. The sandpaper ones are ok but I too prefer what I can see through.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2