Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Irish Chain with embroidery >
  • Irish Chain with embroidery

• Irish Chain with embroidery

Old 01-24-2017, 07:15 AM

Thank you all for your comments. I believe I will embroider, then cut.
    Old 01-24-2017, 07:59 AM

Embroidery, then cut. I made the mistake to cut first.
    Old 01-24-2017, 08:09 AM

Looking forward to seeing your project. Don't just wait to show us the finished project, show your progress if you are comfortable with that. Nice to see hand embroidery discussed here!
    Old 01-24-2017, 08:46 AM
    Power Poster

This is what someone suggested to me and it worked well. Take a half yd. of fabric or whatever size you need. Draw a block 1 inch bigger than it will need to be for the quilt before sewing. draw as many as you can on the 1/2 yd. Do your hand embroidery, then iron and cut to the before sewing size needed. It gives you room to maneuver the hoop and plenty of trim room. I don't remember my finished size of the block I made, but I remember I had about 9 on the 1/2 yd. Good luck and I sure would like to see it when it's finished.
    Old 01-24-2017, 10:44 AM

If you are machine embroidering, I would use bigger squares because they are easier to hoop and the bigger squares give you wiggle room if you don't get your design perfectly centered.
    Old 01-24-2017, 10:47 AM

I concur with all of the above. I have done it both ways. You always lose a bit of dimension with the fabric take up with the embroidery. Also, it is just easier to work with a larger piece of fabric.
    Old 01-25-2017, 04:16 AM

ALWAYS do your embroidery first...............and then trim down to the in-finished size you need............One thing to consider, if you will be quilting this yourself, is how you will quilt around the embroidery design..........If you are going to send to a long arm quilter, this then requires custom quilting, and will be more expensive.

If you are going to be using an outline type of embroidery to actually quilt the block, batting and backing, you would need to have the entire top pieced,, and then do your outline (redwork type) quilting/embroidery with that block hooped..............Hope this helps you some..
    Old 01-25-2017, 06:16 AM

Embroidering on a finished top would be cumbersome. Make it easy on yourself... embroider on oversize squares and then cut to size.
    Old 01-25-2017, 11:02 PM

I own an embroidery machine and have made two twin size double Irish chain quilts. After making the quilt sandwiched and quilted on the diagonal through the chain squares using my walking foot. Then hooped (using a magnetic hoop) the plain squares using a quilting embroidery design and sew through all layers. It came out great.
    Old 01-25-2017, 11:13 PM

I have done a hand appliqué on a Double Irish Chain and done machine embroidery in the block next to a 9 patch. With the appliqué it was after the block was put together, because it was just a hearth in the center. It was not a problem but the machine embroidery I used a larger piece of fabric and cut it down. Mainly because I am not great at centering the embroidery and 2, I was concerned about the embroidery shrinking the fabric.