Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which iron is best for quilting? >

Which iron is best for quilting?

Which iron is best for quilting?

Old 12-19-2010, 12:47 PM

I buy all the Black & Decker irons that I find at the thrift stores. I have 2 left. I love the fact that it does not have an Auto off. They are a little heavier but I like them that way.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:18 PM

Make sure you read your coupon. I don't think you can use it on irons. It has a list of things that you can not buy.
I use alot of Joann's coupons. In fact I used 4 today for thread.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:22 PM

The most important thing about an iron for me is auto shut off, I had been known to turn around and drive an hr back home to check the iron and the coffee pot before I got ones with auto shut off, for me at least it gives me peace of mind when my mind is in pieces.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:32 PM

I agree with all the other comments about don't buy an expensive iron. I had 2 Rowenta's and they each only lasted a year, which I thought wasn't a good investment. I bought a cheap one at Target for about $28 and it works great. The only thing I would like to have when I buy another one is more weight. Weight seems to iron better for quilting purposes.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:20 PM

I have a cordless Oreck which I love. With this iron I'm not fighting the cord, no matter what angle I need to approach ironing (especially nice for making doll clothes). When doing a lot of ironing, the heating feature may not keep up. But then I can attach the cord (it's a simple switch).
Old 12-19-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Yankee Quilter
Someone once told me that any iron will last forever, if you don't put water in it. After throwing out many irons, I tried this. I'm using a cheap panasonic with auto shut-off & cord winder reel. I don't put water in it. I keep a spray bottle near the ironing board and use it for wrinkles. Works like a charm. I'm also getting to be a huge fan of spray sizing or spray starch. It has improved my cutting and piecing.
Very interesting. I hadn't thought using the spray bottle instead of filling it with water. I'm going to pick up a new spray bottle and try that out. I'm a big fan of spray sizing and spray starch as well. I use it on everything.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by mrs_uncle_fuzzy
The most important thing about an iron for me is auto shut off, I had been known to turn around and drive an hr back home to check the iron and the coffee pot before I got ones with auto shut off, for me at least it gives me peace of mind when my mind is in pieces.
I left mine on over night last week. I was working on a must be done project right up until I collapsed into bed that night. I got up in the morning and it was blinking at me. Thank goodness I had the auto shut-off. I was thinking up till that point to pick up one without the auto shut-off, but have been re-thinking that now. I'd rather have to wait a minute for it to heat up than burn the house down.

I have an inexpensive Sunbeam with a retractable cord and it has worked well. I had a Rowenta years ago, but like other folks have mentioned after a while it leaked like crazy. The Oliso look interesting though as I've burned myself a few times. I'll wait though till this one goes kaput.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:49 PM

I have found the inexpensive off-brand old fashioned steam iron to be best for my constant use. I am seamstress and quilter. Bought 2 very expensive irons and they both ruined clothes after not much use.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:48 PM

Mine was $6 and "change" from Walmart. It was the cheapest one they had, and that frightened me a little, but I wanted a smaller light weight iron. I know many quilters like an iron with a little more meat and substance to it, but this cheapie hasn't disappointed me yet. Isn't it funny what people spend money on....I buy the cheapest iron available, but I'm seriously considering the Bernina 820.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Power Poster

A lot of people like the black and decker.