Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Iron scorch on my top!

Iron scorch on my top!

I have gone brain dead! In putting my crayon blocks together, I managed to put the same color side by side. To save myself from ripping, I chose to recolor darker and pressed thru paper towel to absorb the excess. I let the iron sit and got a scorch mark. What can I do to remove it? I am so distraught I cannot think of a remedy. Please give me suggestions...I was so loving this quilt top. Many many thanks for help.Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1114
Size:  155.8 KB
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-11-2018 at 12:42 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

Was your fabric starched? I've had fabric look scorched like that, but wash out easily, because it was the starch that scorched, not the actual fabric.

Don't worry - I'm sure someone will have a way to save your beautiful work!

Can't help, but I do like what i see.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Try dabbing it with straight white vinegar. This sometimes work like a dream it erace the brown. Depending on how badly you have scorched it, it may disappear, or just reduce the color.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I remember using baking soda and water to make a paste on a scorch mark years ago. It was Not on a quilt tho. Good luck.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-11-2018 at 12:42 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

Dabbing in white vinegar has worked for me. Good luck!
    aka Gale

Thank you all for the suggestions...looks lovely me a rip out anyway. I will start with the vinegar and the soda..maybe oxyclean? next? Should do an Internet search for remedy. This was set of stamped for embroidery blocks I've had for yrs. saw the crayon colored quilt on this forum and thot I would try it. I was really pleased ...until I made this boo boo!

I have been using hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball to wet the scorch and it has been working well for me.

Blog Entries
    Be careful with hydrogen peroxide! It can permanently damage the fabric. Leah Day learned that the hard way:
    https://leahday.com/pages/duchess-wholecloth

I'm thinking that if none of the above work, you could use tracing paper to trace the dotted design and flower onto it and then put it on a piece of white fabric and needle turn the edge following the outer dotted line. Sounds like a lot of work but your quilt is gorgeous and it just may be worth it. So hope that the vinegar works. Let us know for future reference.

Just to say, I was sanitizing 15 one-dollar bills to put into my great grandchildren's Valentines (doing it on my ironing board- not too bright) and the ink came off the bills onto my ironing board cover. I tell you! Who knew that the ink on our money can be wiped off???

I iron money and have never had the ink come off, or rather I should say I press the money. Maybe that is the difference.

Many, many years my grandmother had me rub a scorch with a mix of salt and lemon juice(more salt than lemon). It took some effort but did come out.
    Sally

Blog Entries
    Yes, definitely Google it.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-07-2018 at 01:29 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Quote Originally Posted by selm View Post
    Many, many years my grandmother had me rub a scorch with a mix of salt and lemon juice(more salt than lemon). It took some effort but did come out.
    thx, Selma...you reminded me that I used to do that ( also many yrs ago!) and I put the item in sunshine. Alas, have not seen any today...none forecast for rest of this week! But I will try the mixture. Then I will google it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yolajean View Post
    Just to say, I was sanitizing 15 one-dollar bills to put into my great grandchildren's Valentines (doing it on my ironing board- not too bright) and the ink came off the bills onto my ironing board cover. I tell you! Who knew that the ink on our money can be wiped off???
    You were sanitizing them? With what?? I've washed money in the washing machine and never had the ink come off. Left several dollars in a pants pocket and they came through washer and dryer just fine.

By the way - I read a book that talked about bleaching one dollar bills and then printing ink to change them into $100 dollar bills. This is why they started putting the security strip in our currency. Had to foil the bad guys.

Since the "paper" is actually a linen/cotton blend, with strands of silk thrown in, you can iron the bills. I like to do that when handling lots of cash for fundraisers, etc. Makes it much easier to count large amounts if they're not all wadded up.
    Last edited by Peckish; 02-12-2018 at 11:45 PM.

Glad someone brought this up as I scorched some of my blocks too but I'm sure its the starch so when I go to wash it before I ship it, I'm hoping it will come out.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I've scorched fabric before and it eventually rotted out.

If all else fails, try a wet magic eraser!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Since the "paper" is actually a linen/cotton blend, with strands of silk thrown in, you can iron the bills.
    I meant to add that maybe this could be a viable alternative to "sanitize" - cook the germs out!

Update on my post re the scorch......it is gone! I made a paste of hot water and oxyclean, laid it on with a spoon, and walked away for abt an hour. I peeled the dried paste off, rinsed and am ready to continue putting my blocks together. This is a QAYG and I will do a 'show and tell' when finished...pointing out the subject block. Thank you to all who offered suggestions. I'm back with my experience in case anyone has this happen to them. I'm going to write down and keep for future, all the different suggestions that were offered.

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    Update on my post re the scorch......it is gone! I made a paste of hot water and oxyclean, laid it on with a spoon, and walked away for abt an hour. I peeled the dried paste off, rinsed and am ready to continue putting my blocks together. This is a QAYG and I will do a 'show and tell' when finished...pointing out the subject block. Thank you to all who offered suggestions. I'm back with my experience in case anyone has this happen to them. I'm going to write down and keep for future, all the different suggestions that were offered.
    Love it when the original poster comes back to report on what worked, or didn't. Thank you for clearing up the suspense.