Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing board cover questions >

Ironing board cover questions

Ironing board cover questions

Old 02-09-2016, 09:18 AM

Default Ironing board cover questions

I help my wife with her quilting by doing the fabric washing, ironing and cutting (and occasional QC). After pressing some larger pieces today on our regular ironing board, I started thinking there had to be a better way. I started looking at some of the internet tutorials on tops that fit over ironing boards. Has anyone else done one of these? Are they stable? The other thing I was looking at is that some of the pieces of fabric come out of the hand wash and dry with a "twist", meaning that the fabric seems to have moved on the bias. I was wondering if a set of grid lines on a topper would help straighten out the fabric as you iron?

Any recommendations before I start this project?

Thanks
Ken
Old 02-09-2016, 09:32 AM

My husband made a "big board" that fits on top of my existing ironing board...I've not taken it off since he made it! There are alot of tutorials on how to make one on this board and also on the internet. We made ours of plywood (I think 1/2" think) and it is heavy....so make sure your ironing board is stable. I covered mine with aluminum foil, then 2 layers of warm & natural batting and then covered it with that ironing-board fabric (silver) and then, I found a remnant of canvas and just laid on top and secured with those welding clips. (Someday I'll sew elastic on that so it stays). The canvas is kind of nice because it seems to "hold" the fabric when you are pressing pieces and blocks.

Good luck with whatever you do.....just check out the tutorials and then decide what would work for you.
My husband added some "stops" underneath so the board would not slip sideways and also so it would not slip backwards off the ironing board. We made it the full length of the board.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

I have June Taylor old Big Board that has grids. It really doesn't help. You're really nice to help your wife. I find it fun when my guy friend takes me shopping for fabric. He is very helpful with finding fabrics.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:25 AM

I just use towels layered on top of my cutting table. Don't need to have more stuff that way. Works a charm for big pieces of fabric.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

It's possible that the fabric that you think has developed a "twist" has actually undone the twist that was previously in it. Often fabric is not straight on the bolt, so when it is cut the cut actually goes slightly on the bias. This can sort itself out in the wash. To determine whether the fabric was cut on straight of grain, look at the threads and see if they are parallel to the edge. If they are parallel, and the piece doesn't look square, you can pull on diagonal corners to straighten it, at least somewhat. This article explains the process of squaring up a piece of fabric - http://www.sew4home.com/tips-resourc...-fix-it-if-its
Old 02-10-2016, 05:13 AM

A couple of weeks ago there was a pic on this board of a wooden tool bench from Harbor Freight that a gal got and added a padded board to the top for her big ironing board. I went to HF and got one and I love it. It is very sturdy, great height, and has 4 drawers and a shelf on it. It was $159 (I did not have the usual 20% off coupon). I had a big top we had already made like you are thinking of that I just moved over to the bench. Glad I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!! A big board sure does help. Good luck which ever way you go!
Old 02-10-2016, 05:34 AM

I just wanted to say that you are one terrific husband! Can I borrow you for a couple of months? LOL!