Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing board cover >

Ironing board cover

Ironing board cover

Old 06-24-2007, 06:47 AM

My husband bought me a wide ironing board for Christmas (I love it!!!). It came with a cover on it, but the padding isn't thick enough. I really don't want to make another cover, just want to add some padding underneath it. I just don't know what to use. Anyone know what would be best?? Thanks
Old 06-24-2007, 08:10 AM

I've have a thick bath towel on my ironing board right now and it's working great. I needed the extra padding for some applique I was ironing and the towel has just stayed. I've also used old sheets in the past. (Whatever was handy and usable when I needed it! :lol: )
Old 06-24-2007, 09:17 AM

I used Warm and Natural batting and quilted it to two layers (top and bottom) of muslin. I also made a muslin cover for my board. Not difficult to do. I used a drawstring in the casing around the cover, but added some elastic in the mid-section to cut down on the amount of drawstring (which also was made from muslin, double folded and stitched.)

I have a tendency to scorch the muslin cover when I steam quilt pieces, especially things like triangle half squares. I have solved that by using an old pillow case, laid across the board, and do my pressing on that.

I can wash all of it or just the cover as needed and slip it back on the board. Your custom cover will last a long time.

June
Old 06-24-2007, 10:22 AM

You could also use an old wool blanket.These can be purchased at 2nd hand stores and cut to fit the shape of your board. The desired thickness is up to you.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Sis

Location: Born a SE Ohio Buckeye,now a Middle Tennessee Volunteer

What good ideas! Using what's available is a quilter's trademark I do believe. I have used a well-loved but not thread-bare flannel sheet blanket folded to fit the ironing board. My sister had several yards of flannel that had an unremovable stain on it. With the right amount of folding and snugging the regular cover over it, she now has a wonderfully padded ironing board.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:49 AM

My cover got a horrible 'valley' from ironing patches. I used flannel that was left over from quilts to even it up. I think it irons 'faster' now, lol lol
Old 06-27-2007, 03:26 AM

For me batting was the best. I made a new cover, with drawstring and a pocket on the end. To hold spray bottle and sissors, etc. Works out great, and it's pretty to boot.