Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing board cover >

Ironing board cover

Ironing board cover

Old 08-19-2011, 05:32 AM

I use two layers of batting and muslin to cover them.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:12 AM

I covered a piece of plywood, then secured it to a rolling cart so I can iron at my sewing machine and I can move it in to hold up the quilt while I am FMQ. I covered it in batting , then used the batting for hot mitts that has the silver reflective material in it and positioned it so the reflective material was facing up. Covered the whole thng with home dec fabric from Walmart. The reflective batting helps you to "iron" from both sides. I wanted something to make it easy to iron my yardage before I cut, since I prewash anything that is going to be used on a bed and will be washed.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:34 AM

I use Warm and Natural all the time. usually I will sew scraps together to cover the board, then cover with muslin or a beautiful fabric. upolstery fabric is good for this because it is thicker and will last longer.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:44 AM

I remember when I was small my mother's ironing board had a flannel sheet folded a few times and then pinned together underneath. I have a wooden square top I made to fit over my ironing board and I just used batting a couple layers and then cotton for the top and stapled it. I like my ironing board square I don't iron shirts so no need for the point. But I have a small travel on that has the point on it in case I need to iron one....
Old 08-19-2011, 07:15 AM

I found an old TV tray and bought the stuff to do the same thing. It seemed like an economical and easy way to get a small ironing board for quilting!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:22 AM

What a great idea. Thanks, I can't wait to try it out. The size is perfect for piecing
Old 08-19-2011, 07:44 AM

Maybe an old blanket. Something with some thickness to it. My mom used an old blanket and then a sheet for the cover. Her ironing board was not regular size as her grandfather had made it for her.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
it deends on how much loft or padding you want. I used two layers of warm and natural and then the cover.
:thumbup: Cotton, less expensive than wool and won't melt like poly.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 AM

I am 74 yo so was raised during war years. My mother always saved worn wool blankets to make her ironing board padding especially from the edges where the fabric was still thicker. She found other uses for the thinner inner parts...like padding for hot pads. I would do it still if I had any old WOOL blankets. Check the thrift stores for some.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by aeble
I guess it's possible to wear out the padding on an ironing board. . . didn't really expect this to happen, but I need to replace it. I can actually see the pattern of the metal through the cover.

Rather than buying a new one, I was thinking I'd make my own with some fabric I love. I'm not sure what to use for padding. I typically only use low loft cotton or wool battings. Would they work? Or, what about a towel as the padding? Before I started sewing and needed an ironing board, I'd just iron my clothing on a towel on the table. Thoughts?
Use cotton batting (mine took two layers, of NOT low loft) If you use any other, you may have shrinkage or melting problems.