Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ironing board that does not wobble

Blog Entries
    I would like some ideas on a good ironing board that does not wobble when you are ironing. I am so tired of trying not to let my iron wobble off the ironing board. Anyone else have this problem. Please help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a very old wooden iron board. I love it. It seems to have more support than the newer ones. I also have capet in my sewing room so if it wobbles I don't notice.
    Judy in Ohio

Blog Entries
    look for a board that has four-point contact with the floor instead of the two bars shown in the picture.

the wider apart the pairs of points are, the more stable the board will be.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    look for a board that has four-point contact with the floor instead of the two bars shown in the picture.

the wider apart the pairs of points are, the more stable the board will be.
    Any suggestions on where to find these types of boards. I have only seen the ones like I have in the pic on page 1

Blog Entries
    A friend has a Reliant brand with the wide extension for quilters and she just loves it! I would like to get one but they are pricey.

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    I would suggest putting an area rug under your ironing board. (that should keep the Ironer from wobbling, too!)

I got mine at Costco and I love it. It is larger than most ironing boards which is great for quilt stuff. Best of all, it doesn't even wiggle!! :-o

Most ironing boards are made this way and the one I have has larger heavy pipes and the pipes are wider on foot part that makes it more stable. I have no problem with it wiggling. I also can drop the legs down so I can sit on a chair and do my ironing. Can't remember were I got it but I do know I got it from a department store like JC penny etc.

Blog Entries
    i got mine at walmart. it was a bit pricey (in the neighborhood of $50) but worth it to me. in addition to being wider than average, it stands higher than average. fewer backaches! :-)

I found mine at a super Target. Also around $50 but worth every penny. Doesn't wobble & is wider than most boards.

Blog Entries
    The Reliants are really expensive and range from $200 - $250. They are supposed to be the Cadillacs of all ironing boards. - way out of my budget.

Years ago I complained about that. DH bought some PVC piping that just fit over the feet of a board like yours. He extended the feet "out" further....it worked!!! Oh, also, use a level and make sure the floor is level....!!!

Mine used to wobble until a made a 'quilters ironing surface' with a piece of plywood, batting and a cover. Set it on top of the wobbler and the extra weight seems to have done the trick. I also like the idea of making the legs longer for more stability.

Blog Entries
    I bought a super size ironing board at Walmart. It has the four individual legs and it never wobbles. It has a rack underneath it and a iron caddy on the end. It takes up more room then the average board though. I noticed it was $47 just last week at Walmart.

Blog Entries
    Bella - That like a reasonable one to buy!

Hi Bella,
    That sounds like the one I got at Costco. Don't you just love it? Never thought I would be so attached to an ironing board!!

I have an old ironing board with really wide feet.
    Then I bought a Polder Iron Rest and attached to the end. That way the iron doesn't ever have a chance to get knocked off or get wobbled off the end.

My husband also made a Big Board that sits on top of my ironing board. Sure makes ironing yardage a lot easier.
    And the Big Boards sell for about $100.00 + shipping so that's why he made me one.

Chris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltin chris
    Then I bought a Polder Iron Rest and attached to the end. That way the iron doesn't ever have a chance to get knocked off or get wobbled off the end.

My husband also made a Big Board that sits on top of my ironing board. Sure makes ironing yardage a lot easier.
    And the Big Boards sell for about $100.00 + shipping so that's why he made me one.

Chris
    I'd love to see pics of your big board version. Can you share pics?

Quote Originally Posted by chamby
    I would like some ideas on a good ironing board that does not wobble when you are ironing. I am so tired of trying not to let my iron wobble off the ironing board. Anyone else have this problem. Please help.
    Look for a board with this style of feet. They're a lot more stable.

this is a board from Target
    Name:  Attachment-90750.jpe
Views: 285
Size:  11.9 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by judy_68
    I have a very old wooden iron board. I love it. It seems to have more support than the newer ones. I also have capet in my sewing room so if it wobbles I don't notice.
    Judy in Ohio
    When I moved to my new house a year and a half ago I thought I would get a new ironing board ... so I got one of the cheapy ones from Target. I HATE it! Much too wobbley ... so I got my old wooden one back. It must be an antique by now, it was my mom's.

It's pretty funny that at the bottom of page 1 there's an advertisement for ironing boards!

Yes, I have destroyed more irons by having them wobble off the ironing board. I use a really nice ironing board that my MIL purchased at Sears, but over the years it has gotten like me a little wobbly. Can't afford another right now, but sure would like to stop the wobble. LOL

I have one of Mama's, that is very old, but I am so tall, I can't bend over that long to use it. It doesn't adjust. Mama was shorter, but I'm almost 6 ft.

Blog Entries
    I bought my large ironing board from Costco and I love, love, love it!

Blog Entries

Chris
    Chris - Could you post a pic and explain what your DH did to make the Big Board?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by costumegirl

Chris
    Chris - Could you post a pic and explain what your DH did to make the Big Board?
    If you do a search there are several pictures of Big Boards and I remember a couple that explained how they made theirs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast