Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ironing board fiasco

This would require you taking it apart, but I put a frame of 1" X 2" boards all the way around the outer edge of my plywood , on the underside. This gives thickness for your staples to not poke thru as well as a lot of stability for the whole board.

My ironing board is taped with strapping tape and the silver tape. It is over 5 years old and has never come apart.

I made my board out of 3/4 inch plywood, put steam holes in it, and stapled the batting and cover on. It has sure made ironing my quilt tops easier.

Blog Entries
    Why not sew a 1" hem all around your sheet, and run
    elastic or strips of cotton through that to tie tightly.
    Could do same with your padding, so all would be easily
    removed for laundering. In other words the padding is
    made same as retail ones.

Sharon Schamber has directions on her site for making a firm ironing surface from plywood, batting and canvas. I made 2, one goes on top of my ironing board and a smaller version goes next to the sewing machine.

Power Poster
    I bought one of the "big Boards" ready-made.

No holes in it. The covering I purchased for it consisted of a poly-type something that looks like warm and natural (about same thickness and density) for the padding and a cotton duck-type fabric for the cover. It has an elastic cord around the edge.

It was cut skimpy (short - plenty wide) and I need to put it back on the board when it is quite damp after washing it.

I like the removable, washable covers.

My husband made me two ironing boards, both are different sizes and they just fit over the standard ironing boards. They have padding and insulbrite and then the cover, I just don't know how I ironed without them. He is such a good husband.

Missouri Star Quilts does a tut on this for a small ironing board. Jennie recommuends sub flooring material (it is water resistant). She only uses an old towel and covers it (envelope style) with cotton material. Also on one thread someone brought up the matter of drilling holds in your board to let the steam escape, apparently not having the holes was damaging the iron.

I made a large board and padded it with a double layer of insulbrite. It was a shelf from Lowe's. I didn't put holes in it and have had no problems. It conducts the heat and steam well. I made a cover out of canvas duck cloth so I could remove it for washings because I use lots of startch and it gets pretty stiff after awhile. It works great and washes great.

I did the Missouri Star ironing pad, it works great!! Here is the link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uGVY...ayer_embedded#!

Blog Entries
    Years ago I knew a lady who worked in a dry cleaning shop.
    She told me to do like they did, put a layer of metal down first,
    (foil) then mattress padding, then an old, well washed WOOL blanket, cut to fit, add some heat proof fabric on top if needed. This has worked for me for many years.The greenish
    wool has faded, but still irons well. I have a fold up into the wall
    ironing board, so I don't have to look at this ugly thing all the time. But it still does the job.

Blog Entries
    Most staplers will take a few sizes of staple. Take it to DH and say 'fix it'!

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda B
    I made my table top ironing board out of a panel I got a Lowes. Big probem -- the panel is composed of a bunch of strips glued together and whenever I iron a bunch of fabric, the heat causes the board to warp into a curve or an arch!! I can still iron on it, but I have to iron with the curve. Anyone have this kind of problem with plywood?
    I believe the board you are using is called OSB. It is comprised of small pieces/chips of wood glued together and then pressed and cut into board shapes. Moisture/heat will warp it. If you have no problem pressing on it then go for it. It may at some point begin to peel apart at the area that is heated and steamed the most.
    At that point I think I would go for a piece of solid(so to speak) plywood or some other type of solid board. Make sure that if you can afford it use the insulated fabric with the silver facing upwards that is used on ironing boards/potholders.
    I really don't think that the warping will really hurt anything except that perhaps alter the fabric slightly. I mean if it needs to be completely flat, it may well not be absolutely flat.
    Hope this helps..:-D
    Faith
    :XD:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda B
    I made my table top ironing board out of a panel I got a Lowes. Big probem -- the panel is composed of a bunch of strips glued together and whenever I iron a bunch of fabric, the heat causes the board to warp into a curve or an arch!! I can still iron on it, but I have to iron with the curve. Anyone have this kind of problem with plywood?
    Sounds like you're using particle board. It's a whole other thing from plywood.

I used 1/2" thick cabinet board for mine, its birch. Not plywood, so no problems at all.

Go to the fabric store and buy some silver ironing board fabric. Put that on top of the padding you have now and you should be set to go.
    Nancy

tha's too bad. But i think I would also double the plywood. 1/4" is pretty thin. You need strength as well. then the staples would also work. whatcha think?

WOW!! What if you used your mattress pad and the aluminum foil and cut your sheet cover a bit bigger then made a casing to run narrrow elastic thru and then you could easily remove it to launder!!??!! I will try this for a quilters ironing surface...I make my regular ironing board covers with elastic in them to fit. Just leave a longer tail of elastic to tie it down tight. Sometimes I can not undo the knot to reuse but i keep lots of elastic around...

My husband solved the warping problem with a sheet of 3/4" masonite board. It's heavy, but it works. He built me a table that it covers. It's 3x4 ft - I used an old wool blanket on mine, just under the padding which is the padding made for hot pads. Then I used regular old everyday muslin and put a gridded cover on that. I use a staple gun when I have to recover. The grid fabric I get from the fabric store. Works great.

Then I made a board to carry with me when I go away - even has a carrying handle. It's about 2 ft by 15/16 inches wide, and even has little feetsies so it won't slide. Perfect. Then, I made a third one, about 12x12 inches to sit beside my sewing machine. Love to iron !!

I would make the cover with elastic casing and put it on like a fitted sheet. Then it could be taken off to wash. Just the way I made my BIG BOARD.

From MN, living full time in our Motor Home
    I think you should look for an old wool blanket to use as your padding. From what I have heard you need 2-3 layers to really do a good job.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G'ma Kay
    So... my FIL has a scrap piece of plywood, 22 X 48 just perfect for my sewing table pressing board. I'm so excited! I use an old mattress pad for the padding, an old sheet for the cover, my DH's staple gun to put it all together and turn it over and .... Wallah! The staples are too long because it's 1/4 inch plywood. It pokes through the cover on the top. I pulled them all out and will have to think on this one a while.
    I sewed around the edges and ran elastic thru both the padding & the cover. Then I took the elastic straps you can buy for your board or bed that have clips on each end. I made my own elastic for them custom length; easy to take on and off when needed.

It's all done now. thanks for the feedback. I used the aluminum foil, the cotton mattress pad with the insulate batting over that and then my old cotton sheet. It works great!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am so sorry that happened, but they carry short staples that work great. God bless.

I made my "big" "big" board out of 1/2 plywood. Covered it with leftover batting and covered with a old cotton sheet. I zig-zaged a draw string around the edges (just like my ironing board) and tightened it up. I put in on a 2x4 table from Sams and away we go. I still take my old big board when I go to retreats. I just like the set up better than ironing on a regular ironing board. I guess I am spoiled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2