Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing Board Recommendations >

Ironing Board Recommendations

Ironing Board Recommendations

Old 12-11-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
My son bought one from Walmart that is metal and much wider than mine. I really like it best. I can iron clothes faster on it thanI can on mine. I would replace mine but , of course, mine is in perfect condition and doesn't need replacing. Too bad.
If its a flimsy one like mine, you can put something heavy on it and the legs will bend..... then..... you have an excuse to go shopping! Mine is bent, I did not know Walmart had those extra wide ones, going to have to check that out! I have been propping mine just under the edge of the bar to hold it up!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:33 AM

I too recently purchased the wide ironing board at Walmart. I had looked at it for quite a while but realized it is like having a good quilting tool. I plan to add another layer of thin padding and a sheet of aluminum foil under the cover. I like the iron rest at the end of the board and the shelf underneath. Very handy.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

I found a wide ironing board several years ago at Costco, but I haven't seen one there recently. I think it's the same one you're talking about at Walmart. It is better than my previous skinny board, but I would really like one that is the same width along its whole length, but I don't need it enough to bother making one. I pre-wash all my fabric and press it. I can't remember the last time I needed a narrow spot on the ironing board. If clothing needs ironing I just don't buy it, or wear it wrinkled I guess.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:13 AM

I have a small ironing board that is wall mounted that rarely gets used. I have a thin board (from HD) covered w/muslin and batting that is perfect for ironing fabric and I have wire on one end so that when I'm not ironing I can hang it on the wall and use it for a small design wall. Two purposes in one.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:33 AM

I'm going to check out Walmart also, that board sounds good.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:52 AM

I don't know how you all can get by without ironing or pressing clothing. I can't stand it if the ends of my DH collar curls up or he has wrinkles by his buttonholes. A lot of my permanent press blouses are fine except for the collars and cuffs. And things that hang too long in the closet before I wear them. It's easier to just press them before I wear them than to toss them into the dryer, check to see if all the wrinkles did come out - cheaper to press also.And some things just seem to shout out a need for a little bit of starch. My skin is wrinkled enough. My clothes don't need to add to the impression.LOL
Old 12-11-2011, 11:30 AM

I have had one of the big ironing boards from Wal-Mart for 6 months. I love it! I am able to iron clothes on it too, but it is great for quilting!!

Dina
Old 12-11-2011, 12:05 PM

I tried to find the cotton canvas painters dropcloth at Lowe's but they hadn't heard of it here in any of the Nashville stores. Did I misunderstand the earlier post about covering your ironing board with this?
Old 12-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
My son bought one from Walmart that is metal and much wider than mine. I really like it best. I can iron clothes faster on it thanI can on mine. I would replace mine but , of course, mine is in perfect condition and doesn't need replacing. Too bad.
if you want a new ironing board, repurpose your old one. I buy ironing boards at yard sales all the time...they are the right shape to mount my knitting machines (even allowing me to remove the mast and carriage and fold up to store away without taking off the board). Also, I use them for the 'childrens' tables at family meals, lowering them to the perfect height for the kids and their chairs. They are wonderful to 'back up' to your sewing machine table, giving you a temp serger table that is pin-able and press-able. My featherweight sits nicely on it, giving me a roll-able, height adjustable table that i can put in front of my favorite chair and the TV. My laptop now sits at the right level and has room for bookkeeping supplies and papers. The best thing about all these tables is that they fold up, hang on the wall or fit behind doors. I have 6 in the house right now and I use them daily. Oh, and of course, you can press your quilting and your clothing on them, too, as soon as you decide you deserve better tools. How many screwdrivers/drills/saws are in the garage?

Last edited by deemail; 12-11-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by tenngal View Post
I tried to find the cotton canvas painters dropcloth at Lowe's but they hadn't heard of it here in any of the Nashville stores. Did I misunderstand the earlier post about covering your ironing board with this?
I bought my 10 oz. cotton canvas 9'x12' dropcloth at Harbor Freight for about $15.00. It is made in India, at least not China. Actually that is one of my projects today, cut a length and wash it to check the shrinkage. It is pretty coarse but I figure it may draw up some with washing. If it turns out to be too coarse I may put another cover over it.