Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ironing embroidery blocks >

ironing embroidery blocks

ironing embroidery blocks

Old 07-15-2010, 04:47 PM

I am making the Quilt Barn embroidery blocks. How would you iron them? I did use Hobbs batting behind the blocks.
Thanks for any help.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:00 PM

Did you just finish the embroidery or are you piecing? Did you use the batting as stabilizer?
Old 07-15-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Maride
Did you just finish the embroidery or are you piecing? Did you use the batting as stabilizer?
I just finished the embroidery. I don't want to iron it on top cause it will flatten the embroidery. I have never use batting before but both the pattern and the LQS said to use it. From what I hear some people use fusible batting, some spray baste etc.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

I'm not quite sure I'm understanding the technique of the batting...but anyway, when you iron embroidery you need to do it from the back. Put a thick fluffy towel on your ironing board, then lay your embroidery face down and press gently, use a pressing cloth if necessary and that will prevent your work from flattening.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
I'm not quite sure I'm understanding the technique of the batting...but anyway, when you iron embroidery you need to do it from the back. Put a thick fluffy towel on your ironing board, then lay your embroidery face down and press gently, use a pressing cloth if necessary and that will prevent your work from flattening.
I haven't embroidered in years but everyone says they do it so that the threads don't show could that be possible?
Old 07-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PALS65
I haven't embroidered in years but everyone says they do it so that the threads don't show could that be possible?
Hmm, I see, but if you don't carry your threads I wouldn't have thought it a problem. Anyway, would be interesting to see what everyone else has to say. There have been a lot of quilts featuring embroidery lately, so if you don't get enough feedback with this thread, you might try pm to some of the quilters who have posted pics of theirs.

Would love to see what you have been working on (I love pics.).
Old 07-15-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by PALS65
Hmm, I see, but if you don't carry your threads I wouldn't have thought it a problem. Anyway, would be interesting to see what everyone else has to say. There have been a lot of quilts featuring embroidery lately, so if you don't get enough feedback with this thread, you might try pm to some of the quilters who have posted pics of theirs.

Would love to see what you have been working on (I love pics.).
Thanks so much I will do that. I am good friends with the LQS owner so I could ask her too. I am doing a wall hanging with the Quilt Barns on it.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:53 PM

When doing red work or other embroidery work by hand I back it with pellon (or batting). I press from the back, if i don't want to place the iron on the pellon, I use either a pressing cloth or applique sheet.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
When doing red work or other embroidery work by hand I back it with pellon (or batting). I press from the back, if i don't want to place the iron on the pellon, I use either a pressing cloth or applique sheet.
That should keep the embroidery from flattening right?
Old 07-16-2010, 05:40 AM

under the stitched piece, I use a bath towel folded into fourths. It may flatten a little, but not to much.