Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing pad? >

Ironing pad?

Ironing pad?

Old 10-31-2018, 02:53 PM

Default Ironing pad?

Hello all. My mother in law loves to quilt and I'm looking for a birthday gift for her. She mentioned that she needs a new 'ironing pad'. In looking through Amazon, I am a little overwhelmed and am looking for some tips from the community.

I have a couple of questions..

1) how large should the pad be? I've seen them range from 20x28" to 47x28"
2) Is silicone or felt better? I think I want to stay away from ones that have a 'diamond' pattern as that can transfer over to what you are ironing.
3) some of the pads are dual cutting and ironing ones (I think she already has one of these). Am I better to get her a dual one, or just the ironing pad?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 10-31-2018, 03:09 PM

Hi & Welcome!

Can you have her send you links to items she likes. Then you can choose one. Another option is to make a pressing board to a custom size especially for the space.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:22 PM

Thanks Rhonda!
The trouble is I want it to be surprise for her. I'm not actually a quilter myself (and not very handy at all).
As I don't quilt, I don't know what's really involved. I know she'll make all the individual squares (this does not take a large amount of ironing space) but then when she starts to put them all together, I think she needs more space to press all the edges together?
Old 10-31-2018, 03:24 PM

The felt ironing pads are all the rage right now. I own one and love it. I have heard from some people that use a lot of steam that they can smell. I’ve never been bothered personally though.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

​The felt or wool pressing mats are popular right now but quite pricy. It might be a good idea to get her a gift certificate from her favourite online or local quilt shop.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:16 AM

I agree a wool pressing mat would be a really nice gift. You could get her one and save the receipt, then if she didn't care for it or was looking for something else, tell her that you would be delighted to help her exchange for a refund or something else. Even if you purchased online, gifts can be exchanged or sent back for a refund. Amazon carries them as well as lots of other quilting sites. Just do a google search for wool pressing mats.
I personally like a gift instead of a gift card....more personal and shows the person you really were thinking of them and what they would like to have, especially if they have expressed a specific want.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:54 AM

Thank you everyone - I will look for a wool pressing mat. I can look into a gift card for her, but she lives in a remote area, and would only be able to online shop (which she is afraid of). I really appreciate all the suggestions!
Old 11-01-2018, 09:23 AM

I love my Steady Betty Foam Ironing pad...I have the large size ...these were very popular prior to wool...
Old 11-01-2018, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
I agree a wool pressing mat would be a really nice gift. You could get her one and save the receipt, then if she didn't care for it or was looking for something else, tell her that you would be delighted to help her exchange for a refund or something else. Even if you purchased online, gifts can be exchanged or sent back for a refund. Amazon carries them as well as lots of other quilting sites. Just do a google search for wool pressing mats.
I personally like a gift instead of a gift card....more personal and shows the person you really were thinking of them and what they would like to have, especially if they have expressed a specific want.
I'm the opposite. Mostly people who don't know what they are doing buy the wrong thing. Then I have to exchange it or whatever. I'd rather just get a gift card and buy myself what I really want. I bought my birthday present from my husband this year and I'm buying at least one of my Christmas gifts. So much easier, and in the long run, cheaper that way
Old 11-01-2018, 11:12 AM

I also agree with the wool pressing mat.

I know the OP was talking about a birthday gift, but I wanted to add my two cents worth regarding gift cards. I prefer gifts over cards at Christmas time because it gives the recipient something to play with on Christmas day, when everything is closed.