Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing Question >

Ironing Question

Ironing Question

Old 11-17-2010, 06:51 AM

My quilting skills leave alot to be desired sometimes, I think. Always new methods to try - and now I've started washing all my fabric before starting a project. However, when making a square, whether it be a 9 patch, log cabin or any others, do you press each time you add a strip or square?
Old 11-17-2010, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

This is a personal choice. I press each time but many don't and have great success! Try both ways and see what works best for you.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:04 AM

And do you always press your seams to one side? I am pretty much self taught - so I read alot. I recently read that some press their seams open, which I think would be easier to stitch in the ditch if that's how I plan to quilt it.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:11 AM

I press each seam and every fabric I'm working with at the time is starched before I start.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:15 AM

It's definitely a personal choice....I press everything...and I use steam...Be careful to "press" (up and down) and not "iron" (back and forth) the fabric as you can really stretch your fabric out of shape. I also use Best Press on my fabric, which if you've never used it, is a wonderful product..You can spray it on your black slacks and it will not leave a white residue...Great product!! Quilt shops will usually carry it.....
Old 11-17-2010, 07:16 AM

It depends on the block, for me, but lately, I haven't been pressing much. For a 9 patch, I sew 3 sets of long strips together and cut to my square width from the strip then sew three strips to get the 9P, so yes, I'll press before cutting the strips.

But I don't press each seam as I go unless I have to, like if I'm sewing over a seam, I usually will, though I've been finding that I don't really need to if I position and pin it properly.

I press my seams open. It is really a matter of preference. I prefer them open.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by ellierae
And do you always press your seams to one side? I am pretty much self taught - so I read alot. I recently read that some press their seams open, which I think would be easier to stitch in the ditch if that's how I plan to quilt it.
I think......if you press seams open and then stitch in the ditch...you might be weakening the seams. I am not sure, but I believe that I read that somewhere!
Old 11-17-2010, 11:01 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltsillysandi
It's definitely a personal choice....I press everything...and I use steam...Be careful to "press" (up and down) and not "iron" (back and forth) the fabric as you can really stretch your fabric out of shape. I also use Best Press on my fabric, which if you've never used it, is a wonderful product..You can spray it on your black slacks and it will not leave a white residue...Great product!! Quilt shops will usually carry it.....
You can also get it at Joanns and Hancocks.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by drivingsusan
Originally Posted by ellierae
I think......if you press seams open and then stitch in the ditch...you might be weakening the seams. I am not sure, but I believe that I read that somewhere!
I've heard the same thing about SID with open seams. I've not tested that though.

I do press after each seam, but I also chain piece so I'm not constantly hopping up and down from my machine - rather I'm pressing a bunch of sets at the same time.

I use a lot of starch and also of Best Press before starting to cut a project, which I think has helped somewhat with the accuracy of my seams.

Cheers, K
Old 11-17-2010, 02:21 PM

I press but it is your preference.