Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ironing surface >

ironing surface

ironing surface

Old 10-10-2010, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
I have a craft table that Michael's sells. It has an electrical outlet on it. I place a double layer of insul-brite on it, then cover with folded fabric. This is my ironing table. When I need to cut, I take the fabric off and put the cutting mats on. :D

I had my dh cut a piece of pegboard to place over the craft inserts (think holes to put cups in for paints) and I place my iron on that, with a silicon base for when the iron is hot.

Very convenient and good surface size.
GREAT IDEA! gonna do this one! :-)
Old 10-10-2010, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
I have a craft table that Michael's sells. It has an electrical outlet on it. I place a double layer of insul-brite on it, then cover with folded fabric. This is my ironing table. When I need to cut, I take the fabric off and put the cutting mats on. :D

I had my dh cut a piece of pegboard to place over the craft inserts (think holes to put cups in for paints) and I place my iron on that, with a silicon base for when the iron is hot.

Very convenient and good surface size.
I have a lab table on wheels that is just the right height and no need to worry about heat problems. Covered for the second time with an ironing surface that is peel and stick. If you ever find one at a used office center grab it, it is well worth looking for!
Old 10-10-2010, 05:01 AM

I do know that using a solid board top will warp eventually from the steam. Using a pine board the sap that is in it will eventually bubble out of the wood. Best thing to do is make a frame and ad braces underneath out of oak or any good hard wood and use peg board for the top as it lets the steam thru. You may have to in time change the peg board but it is cheap.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie
If it were me, I would use insulbrite under the batting also. It would also help to protect the wood. However, I am sure you could make one.
Check with your local newspaper. We used to be able to buy old printing plates (aluminum sheets) for almost nothing. Tack them down to the wood.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:15 PM

I have a small iron board, right next to my machine. I made it from a TV table. Covered first with aluminum foil then batting and muslin.
It is soooo handy sitting by my machine. Easy to take to a class and nice because it does not take up my sewing space.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:48 PM

You ladies are so full of good ideas.
I purchased my 5 ft. folding table at an office supply store. It has a handle at one end (when folded) and wheels at one end, you can pull it along behind you, much easier than carrying it. The cost was 10.00 more than purplemem's but worth it to me.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:43 PM

I used regular pine plywood and covered it first with a contractors garbage bag (heavyduty garbage bag). Then covered it with batting and then canvas. I made a covering like a pillow case so that I could easily replace or wash it if it got too full of starch or scorch it. It has not warped and is in perfect shape. I have used it about 2-3 years. I also made a smaller one to take to class.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Originally Posted by katiebear1
Originally Posted by Aunt Doggie
Ditto on the foil covering over the wood! :-)
Hey that is a good idea! Now if I can get Hubby to cut the piece of wood for me. I will just have to keep bugging him this weekend LOL
Good luck with the hubby. I just go to Home Depot and get the hunks there to cut it for me. LOL That way I get it without complaints!
Home Depot had some plywood already precut to size 24 x 48. To have them cut it I would have to buy a whole piece of plywood
Old 10-11-2010, 02:26 AM

Ironing boards used to be wooden. I have two that are very old, but sturdier than the aluminum ones. One is in the sewing room and the other in the laundry room. The ironing platform made for the one in the sewing room is made of wood also and not protected by foil, insulate or anything. I use it lots, and have not had problems.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:37 AM

Just want to say using the those printing plates may not be such a good idea. They are treated with etching chemicals and heating them may cause a reaction were it puts wholes in the bating.