Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
IRONS >

IRONS

IRONS

Old 04-02-2011, 12:00 PM

I bought a Walmart Black and Decker for about $11 - my friends all liked it so much that they all bought one as well. It works great and can't shake a stick at the price. I think they may have gone up a few dollars since I got mine but it's still under $15.

For what it's worth, my parents volunteer at a huuuge rummage sale in Jersey twice a year - and they happen to be in the electronics department. My mother says that almost every Shark or Rowenta that comes in gets thrown away since they don't work. Yup, it's a shame that people donate things that are broken but they do :(
Old 04-02-2011, 12:05 PM

Gosh, I'm no help with brands. Right now I'm not in my sewing room & can't recall the one I have. It's a fabulous iron that I picked up @ 50% off the reg. price of $100. Since our bedrooms & closets are upstairs I needed to pick up another to have there for ironing shirts & stuff. This little babe costed me $10 on sale & it is one fantastic iron.
I have to share that I do love ironing so a good iron is important to me. Really, I'm not kidding...I DO like ironing! Might start a business when I retire...people should be knocking my door down to get ironing done! LOL
Maureen
Old 04-02-2011, 12:07 PM

i but the cheap black and deckers..they last a few years, if i don't drop it!
Old 04-02-2011, 04:52 PM

I have been using the 10.00 irons and liking them. They have a nice tip on them and are light, not heavy as a lot of the more expensive ones are. I do so much ironing, between quilting and shirts, I like the light ones. And they last, too.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:56 PM

I want the one they use on Fons and Porter. The one that pops up. What is it called?
Old 04-02-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
I bought a Walmart Black and Decker for about $11 - my friends all liked it so much that they all bought one as well. It works great and can't shake a stick at the price. I think they may have gone up a few dollars since I got mine but it's still under $15.

For what it's worth, my parents volunteer at a huuuge rummage sale in Jersey twice a year - and they happen to be in the electronics department. My mother says that almost every Shark or Rowenta that comes in gets thrown away since they don't work. Yup, it's a shame that people donate things that are broken but they do :(
I remember someone donating a crock pot without the lid. Come on now people.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by lscho4jm
I want the one they use on Fons and Porter. The one that pops up. What is it called?
Oliso iron. i believe
my friend bought one at a quilt show, and it quit working beofre a year was up. she is the only one that i know,that had one.

http://www.kokeytechnology.com/gadge...uto-lift-iron/
Old 04-03-2011, 03:12 AM

My advice is the older heavier irons if they don't cause any problems for your hands. I have several and love them all. Some are from the 30's and will be around longer than I will. No blasted shut off's and they make pressing so easy because of their weight. You can find a lot of them on Ebay and if you're lucky at thrift shops. I've had way too many expensive irons including the Rowenta top of the line that spitted, spurted and otherwise drove me nuts. Got rid of them all and went with the best of the older irons I could find. Now I will be happily pressing/ironing until I am unable to do so.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:45 AM

I've had a Black and Decker for a zillion years, but I only started quilting this winter and I think it is getting a lot more use! Still runs great
Old 04-03-2011, 11:26 AM

I did have a Rowenta for about two months. It would spit and spurt till I couldn't take it anymore.