Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Irons >

Irons

Irons

Old 04-24-2022, 10:44 AM

Default Irons

I need a portable iron to use just for quilting. It's hard to tell from pictures of them how well they'd work for quilting. What iron do you use? Why do you like it?
Old 04-25-2022, 04:50 AM

I have a little Dritz. I think it's called the Mighty Travel steam iron. Have had it for several years and it still works great. What I like is that it puts out a lot of steam (I am a steamer) but you can turn the steam off. I take it to all my retreats and classes and use it at home on small blocks. I think I paid around $20 at JoAnns or maybe Wal-Mart.
I was assuming you were asking about a small iron. For a larger but still portable iron I am using an inexpensive Black and Decker bought about 10 years ago that also puts out a ton of steam.

Last edited by Pam S; 04-25-2022 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:21 AM

I was gifted a Black and Decker - Even Steam for Christmas. It is hot, can be steam or not and does not turn off automatically. I like how the cord attaches for the body of the iron. It is on a bit of a swivel so it cord does not get bent and suffer from wear at the join to the iron.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

I have never bought an iron I love and many I don't even like! Right now I have a Panasonic cordless. Love cordless but it's a pain. It turns off too quickly.
I'm always on the hunt for one.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

The best small iron I have used is the SteamFast iron. Its the one I take to classes and retreats for machine side pressing.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:39 PM

I hate that little Clover iron. Burned my fingers on it so many times!

I found that I was dissatisfied with the smaller, portable irons. It's worth it to me to use a full-size iron for quilting. I ended up with a simple Hamilton Beach brand that I found at the hardware store, of all places. It was $18 and does not shut off automatically.

I think you have to look at what features are most important to YOU. Do you want steam? Auto shut-off? Something small? Something cordless? Figuring that out will help you figure out which is the best iron for you.