Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Irons

Blog Entries
    My husband just bought me a nice iron, the problem is that it shuts off after 7minutes. Is there such an iron out there that does not have the auto shut off, if so, where might i find one? Thanks.

Mine shuts off too, what a pain.

This Reliable iron has auto shut-off, but it can be de-activated. Mark Lipinsky recommended this iron on a show I watched online.

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp22803.html

yep my walmart special iron that cost like five bucks doesn't shut off! I think thats why I stick with the cheap-o irons because I hate the auto shut off of the more pricier ones. Plus if the kids or pets knock it off the ironing board and break it I'm not out much cash!

My Wal-Mart Iron was $9 - (got the teflon coating)and it stays on and on and on and on...........

I threw away my iron with the auto shut-off and bought a cheapy iron without that feature. I love it. Can't tell you right now what kind it is, but very inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieL
    My husband just bought me a nice iron, the problem is that it shuts off after 7minutes. Is there such an iron out there that does not have the auto shut off, if so, where might i find one? Thanks.
    buy a teflon iron mat, and leave iron in down position. The one I have stays on then.

Blog Entries
    Thank You everyone. Think I'll just take this one back and get cheaper one. Shut off just drives me nuts.

Blog Entries
    yes it is a little rediculous that the iron shuts down after 7 min.
    i bought an auto shut off iron with safety in mind. if i leave the room or the house and have forgotten to shut off manually, the iron shuts down automatically. which save my house from burning down. don't mind a bit if i have to wait a minute for the iron to heat back up, at least my forgetful mind is at ease.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    My Wal-Mart Iron was $9 - (got the teflon coating)and it stays on and on and on and on...........
    I got this one too. I love it. It's light weight, even adding fresh water it heats up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by richbrote
    if i leave the room or the house and have forgotten to shut off manually, the iron shuts down automatically. which save my house from burning down. don't mind a bit if i have to wait a minute for the iron to heat back up, at least my forgetful mind is at ease.
    Well, considering that I left mine on ALL night last night, I may have to purchase one of these myself.

:oops:

Blog Entries
    the slight inconvenience of the iron shutting off by itself, saves a lot of inconvenience in the long run.

Yup, I have a Wal-Mart cheap-o iron and I love it. In fact, I dropped it once and it didn't get damaged at all. And if it did, it was only $9.

Blog Entries
    I plug my iron in a strip. In the strip I keep a night light. I only turn my irons on with the strip.

Blog Entries
    I got a cheaper iron that doesn't shut off, but I love the idea of using a power strip. Thank You.

I really hate the auto shut off on mine. I know it's a safety feature, but it sure is a pain.

My husband put a switch on the outlet for my iron, so I can just flip the switch There is an iron # I think 6500 by Rowenta that no longer has the automatic shut off. I haven't bought one, but I did what you other gals did, bought a cheapey, and it is one that stays on for 30 minutes...sure beats the 7 min shut off. Works GREAT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by richbrote
    yes it is a little rediculous that the iron shuts down after 7 min.
    i bought an auto shut off iron with safety in mind. if i leave the room or the house and have forgotten to shut off manually, the iron shuts down automatically. which save my house from burning down. don't mind a bit if i have to wait a minute for the iron to heat back up, at least my forgetful mind is at ease.
    This is me to a t, so forgetful these days, good thing my head is attached

Those goodwill irons don't shut off either. Heck, I have to unplug mine. It was off the other week and I accidently brushed my arm against it and it was HOT! I freaked. Now I unplug it every time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Minda
    This Reliable iron has auto shut-off, but it can be de-activated. Mark Lipinsky recommended this iron on a show I watched online.

That is one expensive iron. :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieL
    Black and Decker makes a retro looking black one that stays on. Of course, I'd been so used to shut off irons, I'd forget to shut the new one off, leave, and then have to go back and shut it off!

Blog Entries
    Thank You everybody. I went and got a $10.00 iron at wal-mart that does not have shut off. I am going to plug it into a power strip like a quilter here recommended. Now I'm good to go. :)

At the retreat I went to last week, the hotel had several of their ironing boards & irons set up around the room for general use. Those suckers turned off every 15 minutes even if they were being used. Grrr. Next year, I'm taking my own! (My T-Fal for "regular" ironing - whatever that is - does have an auto shut off. The Rowenta travel iron I have at my sewing machine on a small side table does not. Bought it at Bed, Bath and Beyond w/ a coupon.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Minda

My LQS instructor bought a Reliable (paid around $150 or so for it) and absolutely hates it. It takes a long time to heat up initially then when it shuts itself off, it takes a long time to heat up again. The de-activator switch she said and the buttons are in an odd spot. Now it just sits in her classroom.

She's now testing the new Oliso (the one Fons & Porter uses). So far, she really likes it and, I believe, has a 20-minutes shut off on it.

My Rowenta doesn't have the auto shutoff. I've had an iron that did and everytime I needed to press it was off, grrr!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast