Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Isacord spool recycling???? >

Isacord spool recycling????

Isacord spool recycling????

Old 12-29-2015, 08:53 AM

Question Isacord spool recycling????

Hi all,
Does any one know if Isacord, or any of the other thread manufacturers for that matter, recycles or re-uses the empty thread spools that so many of us produce????

Since I use a lot of vintage and antique thread I always have lots of wooden spools, but I know there are folks who use those in crafts projects, so I keep them. I just found myself thinking the other day that we go through lots of thread as quilters and all those modern plasticky spools that the various companies now use end up in the trash (at least they have been in my studio) and then in landfills. What to do?????

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 12-29-2015 at 08:53 AM. Reason: add left out word
Old 12-29-2015, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

I re4cycle my Mettler plastic spools thru the local trash recycling.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I re4cycle my Mettler plastic spools thru the local trash recycling.
Lucky you Maniac, our local recycling only takes plastic that is narrow necked bottles. For some reason they won't take any other plastic even if it is exactly the same kind of plastic as the bottles, but just a different shape.

Rob
Old 12-29-2015, 09:20 AM

compared to disposable diapers and fast food styrofoam we make a pretty small footprint, but I know what you mean, I've just been dropping mine in a sack in the quilt room, a few months ago I threw away 183 plastic spools. Makes me sad. Seems like some clever thread maker could have bins set up in quilt shops, who then could get credit on their thread orders for sending them back, who would be getting people just stopping in to recycle, but stayed to buy something

We have a very good recycling system here, but the problem is there isn't a reverse market for anything but #1 and #2 plastics currently. Oil prices have to be pretty high to make recycling #3-#6 worthwhile.
I don't understand why they don't all use #1 or #2 plastics. Milk comes in #1, why not yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream?

The good news is a plant here in the US, that recycles plastic grocery bags. Something we can be proud of
http://novolex.com/sustainability/recycling-plant

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 12-29-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

There is a recycling center in my town but I have to drive there and back through city traffic to the industry park then drive 10 more miles to the center. In the meantime I have to stash the recycleable stuff somewhere out of the way and I'd have to rinse the food plastics clean to keep the smell down. Recycling is just not my feel good thing to do.

I save all my spools and take to the library because there is craft programs for the kids there. Little kids can string them to make a train, bigger kids can glue them into all kinds of imaginative items.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:51 AM

contact the company and see if they have a program. Otherwise, one man's trash is another man's treasure. I would list them as a bundle on Craigslist or Kijiji as free. You might be surprised and someone will want them.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:10 AM

Check with Scout troops or park district to see if they would be wanted for various projects.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

The straight empty spools are nice to roll my leftover binding pieces on. When I get enough binding bits, I sew them all together for a scrap binding. The plastic cones could be glued together for a play light saber for Star Wars fans?
Old 12-29-2015, 10:22 AM

Light sabers! what a great idea Tartan!
Old 12-29-2015, 10:24 AM

We have curbside recycling pick up twice a month. We also have compost pick up weekly.

I thought most communities have recycling pick up now.