Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • ISO easy framed square pattern for friend >
  • ISO easy framed square pattern for friend

• ISO easy framed square pattern for friend

Old 02-23-2015, 06:37 AM

Default ISO easy framed square pattern for friend

One of my best friends has purchased a machine and has asked me to teach her to quilt. 😳
    We started an easy machine applique project, a BOM snowman series. Her future DIL celebrates Hannukah, and my friend spotted some lovely themed fabrics and wants her first quilt to be a lap quilt for her DIL. I think framed squares will be easy to start with, but I can't find a good free tutorial online...I am a self taught quilter, and I want her to have good instructions to follow-i kind of fly by the seat of my pants!
    This is what I have in mind, but perhaps larger pieces to start with-i think cutting 1 3/4" pieces is a little intimidating for a first project. Any help would be greatly appreciated! . ( I know this would be easy to do, but I am hoping to find a clear and concise pattern for her to follow)

http://www.inspiringcreationsblog.co...and-video.html
    Old 02-23-2015, 06:53 AM

I'm kicking myself for not bookmarking the site...but it was so EASY i didn't bother. It was a clever NO CUT framed square/square in square tutorial. She took a 10" (layer cake) and a 5" (charm)...centered the 5" square on the 10" square - face up - folded the 2 sides in so that the fold was along the edge of the 5" square - pressed and stitched...then did the same with the other 2 sides.
    SOMEONE on the Board will know where that Tute is.....i'll keep looking....cuz i thought it was GREAT for a quick and easy method.
    Old 02-23-2015, 07:07 AM
    Power Poster

is this the one, PenniF? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgV64kXet7s
    Old 02-23-2015, 08:05 AM

Penni-is this it? Interesting! Thanks! http://www.handicraftsbypeg.com/page.php?c=12
    Originally Posted by PenniF
    I'm kicking myself for not bookmarking the site...but it was so EASY i didn't bother. It was a clever NO CUT framed square/square in square tutorial. She took a 10" (layer cake) and a 5" (charm)...centered the 5" square on the 10" square - face up - folded the 2 sides in so that the fold was along the edge of the 5" square - pressed and stitched...then did the same with the other 2 sides.
    SOMEONE on the Board will know where that Tute is.....i'll keep looking....cuz i thought it was GREAT for a quick and easy method.
    Old 02-23-2015, 08:42 AM

IMHO, I think a little larger squares/blocks might be a good idea for a beginner. I made this one and it was quite simple. Each center block was cut 3 1/2" square. The strips around the square are cut 2 1/2" wide. Two sides are cut 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" and the longer two sides are cut 7 1/2" x 2 1/2". The finished block is 7" square. Just alternate prints and a solid color.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]511315[/ATTACH]

Another really easy pattern for a very beginner is just a three strip block. I made this one using all 3 1/2" WOF strips. Sew three strips together and cross cut the three sewn strips into 9 1/2" blocks. The blocks finish at 9" square, and if you just rotate the blocks every other one, no seams to match.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]511318[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails p1110726.jpg   p1110613.jpg  
    Old 02-23-2015, 10:17 AM
    Power Poster

I would encourage her to watch Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day shows. They are on the RFD and PBS channels. That is how I learned the basic in quilting.
    Old 02-23-2015, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    That's the one !!! Thank you Nancy!!

Good luck Jillmc with whatever you finally decide on.
    Old 02-24-2015, 12:37 PM

The three strip block looks like a great beginner project. No matching seams, just practicing sewing even seam allowances.
    Old 02-24-2015, 03:57 PM

One of her fabrics has pretty stars of David, and I am afraid the rail pattern would cut them up too much....will do a framed square with or without a pattern.....