Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: IT'S GONE- HELP!

Hi- Everyone
    Many of us enjoy working with and collecting vintage machines-Singer is one of the few who has had pretty accurate records in the past. ( I say pretty accurate because we currectly have a Singer 15k which is a 15-91 serial numbered in Scotland but decaled in Canada) listed on ebay that does not match the info on the Singer site nor does Singer know why after contacting them)
    The reason I bring up the topic of serial number searches is many of us on the board use the serial number search on the Singer site to clarify date of make, model, location of manufacturing etc. or both ourselves and to help others. Whether we are looking to clarify model for parts, manuals, appraisals, etc that info has proved invaluable to many of us.
    There have been modifications to thier info on going for a while now but now they have completely eliminated the break out of serial numbers by model - which leave a big gap in which machine do you really have.
    Singer needs to hear from all if us- just like Walmart bringing back fabric departments- it's not the fact they got one call but the volume of calls that got them to return the fabric department- so as many as possible contact Singer and insist they bring back the serial number info:
    http://www.singerco.com/contact-us

They still have the pages, you just have to search for 'serial number' to find them.

Here's the link: http://www.singerco.com/support/machine-serial-numbers

Blog Entries
    thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by beaniekins
    They still have the pages, you just have to search for 'serial number' to find them.

The pages that break out the serial numbers showing manufactuering location, date, model number etc are no longer available that is the problem-Singer is aware of this but has no response that is why everyone who is willing contact them so they understand this is a valuable part of hisotry they need to keep available

I have an issue with mine. When I looked up the serial number I saw it was a model 66 manufactured in 1923. A day later I found a link to their "birthday" site where you could enter the SN and it created a "birth certificate" for your machine - it listed mine as a model 27 made in 1910. Looking at pictures of 66's and 27's - I definitely have a 66.

I *suspect* that because my SN begins with G02 it dropped the zero in front of the 2, and read it as G2 - which would be a 1910 machine. No matter how I tried to type the SN on the birthday site though I could not get it to print the correct birth certificate for my machine.

Oh well.

and yes ... I agree .. the serial number pages are different. Less information. I had looked mine up a matter of days ago so this change is indeed "new". Glad I looked it up when I did!!

Remember the Singer Co. is a different company now. They have merged with Viking and Pfaff. So they are changing things. When buyouts happen info is lost. We owned a business and used serial numbers and model numbers for our business and it became hard to get parts for certain items because of mergers. Surely some other source for the info is available. Contact [email protected] They have a business for replacement parts for the Featherweights and I am sure he has correct info that you may need.

I have the same problem as DogHouseMom.... I have found two different dates for the SN that I have on my red eye. It starts with G and I've found both 1910 and 1913. model 15 & 66. It definately looks like a 66.

Quote Originally Posted by writerwomen

The pages that break out the serial numbers showing manufactuering location, date, model number etc are no longer available that is the problem-Singer is aware of this but has no response that is why everyone who is willing contact them so they understand this is a valuable part of hisotry they need to keep available
    which makes me double glad that DH decided to print off
    the whole site one day. will add my name to the protest.

I already posted this to another thread, but since this thread is actually about this subject I'll repeat the information.

I wrote Singer about this quite a while back. This was their answer:

“Thank you for writing Singer Sewing Company.

Unfortunately, the serial number data on our website is no longer available.

However, you can still get your historical questions answered by either emailing us at [email protected] or by calling our Consumer Affairs Department at 1-800-474-6437 - Monday through Friday, 8AM to 4PM CST.

Cordially,
    Singer Consumer Affairs
    SVP Worldwide”

If you want to contact them, another email address is in the message - [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    .....Unfortunately, the serial number data on our website is no longer available.

However, you can still get your historical questions answered by either emailing us at [email protected] or by calling our Consumer Affairs Department at 1-800-474-6437 - Monday through Friday, 8AM to 4PM CS
    Curious why they would rather be bothered by lots of phone calls instead of having the info on the web.

piney

That is a disappointment. Just the other dayi scouted out how to find a featherweight from 1947 and it listed the AG serial numbers as one that was possibly manufactured on her birth month...I cant find it anymore. Perhaps someone who printed out the site as it was previously could upload it as a PDF....

Quote Originally Posted by Xtgirl
    That is a disappointment. Just the other dayi scouted out how to find a featherweight from 1947 and it listed the AG serial numbers as one that was possibly manufactured on her birth month...I cant find it anymore. Perhaps someone who printed out the site as it was previously could upload it as a PDF....
    We can't do that, because each page was marked as copyright by Singer.

What would be the catalyst for them making this decision? The information is of historical value to collectors as well as users of the machines. Perhaps they believe the cutesy birth certificate they recently debuted is sufficient for most people.

Being a cynic, I believe they will put the information back up on a Pay site.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
    What would be the catalyst for them making this decision? The information is of historical value to collectors as well as users of the machines. Perhaps they believe the cutesy birth certificate they recently debuted is sufficient for most people.

Being a cynic, I believe they will put the information back up on a Pay site.
    Same thought- they are planning to put it up at a price.
    Calls to them have been nothing but a busy line so it's less then a solution- if anyone gets through we'd all love to hear the details

Quote Originally Posted by nana2makm
    I have the same problem as DogHouseMom.... I have found two different dates for the SN that I have on my red eye. It starts with G and I've found both 1910 and 1913. model 15 & 66. It definately looks like a 66.
    This is why this info is so vital There are cetain anomillies such as the machie we have listed on ebay currently. Singer says it's a straight 15k made in Scotland made 1947. The decaling says made in Canada. IT looks and operates like a 15-91 and there is a 1951 centennial commeration plate on the front which is 4 years after the date Singer has on file- odd- My husband compares it to a rare 2 headed coin. We've researched and asked a lot of other historians but are coming up empty as to how this came about. Their info may not be pefect but it's the only way to identify some models.

thank you so much for this blog and also the list of serial numbers. I also have a singer.