Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It's not a bad problem to have... >

It's not a bad problem to have...

It's not a bad problem to have...

Old 10-16-2013, 09:44 AM

Default It's not a bad problem to have...

Recently we had an excellent speaker at our guild about scrap quilts. Man, did it make me get the scrap bug. I want to make monochromatic slabs from all my scraps and put together a modern top like all the ones she showed.

Uh, except I don't have scraps. I rarely piece, most of what I like to do is quilting, so I've spent the past 2 years on a single quilt, and it was from a single cut of fabric. The few quilts I have pieced, I don't buy extra. I have a bit of a 'stash' but it is still small enough the few quilters I know have looked at it and laughed at me calling it a "stash". So even if I cut a piece off all of those fabrics, it doesn't give me much.

I'm so sad There just really don't appear to be scrap quilts in my future unless I start collecting, and I just don't think I can spend the money on charms and fat-eighths just for the ability to have scraps

But man- those scrap quilts were cool.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:49 AM

Do you doing quilting for others? If so, they might have scraps they would be willing to give you if you knock a couple of dollars off their quilting price. Heck--some of them might just give them for nothing.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:55 AM

For scraps you only need to buy a 1/4 yard here and there, maybe 1/2 if you really like it. That way, you only spend a few dollars at a time. That is how I started. Now I think I have too much. But I haven't sewn since my accident in June. Started feeling better last week, so starting to get the itch. With all that I have seen here lately, my head is swimming with ideas!
Old 10-16-2013, 09:58 AM

Just remembered: One of the online stores (Keepsake, Connecting Threads maybe) sell scrap boxes. Also some quilt stores sell scrap bags.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:01 AM

I pick up some nice small pieces from the remnant bin at JoAnn's, and they usually write fiber content on the pkg. Sometimes the remnants are 1/2 off.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:03 AM

Look here on the QB...that's where I've gotten my stash. Most are willing to cut down to 1/2 yard and the prices are half or less. #1piecemaker has beautiful fabrics at awesome prices. Can you guess where I've gotten most of my fabrics? Good luck!!!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:09 AM

At my quilt guild meetings, there is always a "free" table. People bring their scraps, patterns, magazines, even UFO's and "what was I thinking" fabrics and leave them for others who might use them. I have brought, and I have picked up. Perhaps you could suggest that your guild do something similar.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

If you were in my quilt guild and asked for scraps, I would deliver to you a huge garbage bag full! I am sure many other quilters would do the same. Some of us have way more scraps than we will ever use and would be delighted to free up the space in our quilting pantries!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:33 AM

And if you watch here on the QB you will see people offering scraps for the cost of postage. I've done it twice so right now I'm rather low on scraps.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Go to the different stores and look at the amount of fabric on the bolts, especially where the discounts and sale aisles are. Often there is little over a yard that still remains on the bolt. you can often get the remainder for another discount. Also check the remnant bins. Check your own closets of clothes or sheets or whatever that don't fit any more. Clearance racks in stores are great. For a couple of bucks you can pick up a piece of clothing. When I buy fabric, if there is even another yard or less left on the bolt, I'll take it and often they've given me another discount. Estate sales are great. I've gone to an estate sale and come out with large garbage bags full and only paid a few bucks. Had one guy help me carry out a really heavy garbage bag full of material and clothes weighing 20-30 # and only paid $5-10. That is a lot of material. Ask friends and relatives for clothes they don't want.