Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: It's official....sewing machine is dead!

Just got the call from the repair shop .... machine is dead and not worth the cost of revival. :-( So now the search for a new machine begins with a sense of urgency as I have one quilt almost done, one large king to be fmq and 3 to start....all before Christmas! I think I am gonna try to find a gently used machine....no embroidery....with the largest throat area I can afford.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

in the land of fruits, nuts, flakes & quakes!
    RIP trusty friend.

Blog Entries
    Get a vintage Singer 15 or 66....all steel, never will wear out, superior straight stitches, large throat areas, and you can drop the feed dogs on the 15 and do FMQ. What's not to like? You can find them for less than $100.

Blog Entries
    :cry:

Darn! Good luck with your search.

Suzy

I would go with a 15-90 or a 15-91. You can usually find them in nice heavy cabinets on craigslist for low or reasonable prices, invest another $70-130 in replacing & repairing all of the electrical components and have a SUPER machine for FMQ for a couple of hundred dollars or less.

The 15-90 is the model 15 with a belted motor and the 15-91 is the same machine with a motor directly geared into the machine. The latter is a little more expensive to refurbish because modern repro motors are not available - you have to get the motors cleaned and re-wired.

The modern repro motors for the 15-90 cost $24 each, about $50 less than re-wiring the 15-91 motor.

Add a repro light, foot control and cords and you'll be back in business with a strong, safe machine.

I've quilted most of my queen and king size quilts on the 15's - it's a little tricky at the center of the quilt, but much easier than with most modern machines. After you get the four square feet at the center quilted, it gets much easier.

You really can't beat these old gals for reliability and ease of use. The 66 and 201 are good machines too, but the bobbins are a lot smaller and the access to the bobbin is on the bed of the machine. Lots more bobbin changes and you can't just tip the machine back to change it, like you can with the 15. I use at least 14 bobbins to quilt a queen size - up to 26 or 28 on a king - with the smaller bobbins, that number will almost double. :)

Blog Entries
    A moment of silence!!!

Awww, sorry to hear that. I hope you find a good realiable machine and soon too.

Rest in peace....

Consider a used Janome 6600 - you'll love it!

Blog Entries
    Does your repairman have any used ones??

Blog Entries
    Well, as I have a vintage Singer but haven't used it yet, I can't comment on using them...However, dh is working on it and I hope to try it soon...I can say I have a Brother PQ1500S, and it is amazing for quilting and piecing! It has a 9" harp, and I really like the pin-feed system, it makes piecing a dream, and also I don't have to use my walking foot, as the pin-feed holds all the layers together. It is industrial, all metal. It is only a straight stitch, though...so, if you want zig zag or any extra stitches, this won't be for you..
    Good luck and enjoy your search!
    Kif
    PS I got mine for $599.00, includes a lot of extras

Blog Entries
    Hugs to you! I can't imagine having my beloved machine gone! Good luck in your search. Depending on what you want to spend, consider Janome!

I think what's left of my mind has turned to mush. We are going tomorrow to look at machines, but in the meantime I have been internet researching. DH wants me to have what I want/need, but I really don't want to overstretch the budget. I'm having a hard time deciding between want and need. This will be my only machine for a while, so I need a good one to do piecing. But I also need one for fmq. The decorative/zigzag stitches are good once in a while too. I am so confused. How do you ever decide?

Junior Member Kathi Kraftyzales's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have 2 Baby Lock Companions and 1 Brother and 1 Singer. I would freak if any of them bit the dust. Oh my...so sorry to hear of your loss.

Blog Entries
    I hope you find a replacement without too much confusion.

tmw
    did you have a moment of silence for the departed machine, [just something we do, we did it for a pair of my husband favorite work and around house shorts, he just wore them out,got pretty ugly, ]

Quote Originally Posted by tmw
    did you have a moment of silence for the departed machine, [just something we do, we did it for a pair of my husband favorite work and around house shorts, he just wore them out,got pretty ugly, ]

LOL! I don't think a moment of silence was even close to what was going on in my brain. Nasty name calling was more like it.

Blog Entries
    Yes rest in peace and diffently look on ebay. I got a used Janome and it sews everything, even redid the upholstry on the boat!

Power Poster
    You have my sympathy for the loss of your trusty friend and for the agonizing search for a new friend! Good Luck!

Bummer, hope you find a good one.

Condolences. When mine died I searched the circulars with the free ads and got the loveliest 1920s Singer in a cabinet for $50. It sews like a dream. I like it better than the plastics.

I did so much research before I bought mine that I finally just closed my eyes and pointed at one. Completely understand the mush brain. Hope you find a new machine quickly since it sounds like you've got a lot to do.

My recommendation is to buy the best you can afford. Have you a $$$ figure to spend. Go to a local dealer and see if they have any trade-ins. Ask how many hours/stitches on the machine. If they have a tech they can tell on the newer machines.

Sew sorry! I hope you find something to replace your broke machine!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast