Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It's starting already >

It's starting already

It's starting already

Old 07-28-2011, 04:09 AM

Have a bag of ziploc gallon size bags setting right there next to cutting mat. I get a idea, whack up the material, stuff it in baggie so when going off, usually, to sew with friends, grab a couple and the featherweight and off I go. Now, mind you, I have worked my way through almost a box of ziploc baggies and have no where near that amount of quilt tops done. Yes, to whom ever inherits my stash, that one with the pink panther pattern, that is to be made into a "trip around the world" quilt top.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:15 AM

You bet it's a problem. And I work in a quilt shop where there are sooo many things to start. I think I get it under control and then another new line of fabric comes in or another pattern, book....and like it all!!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 04:25 AM

Quilters are queens of UFO's. To quilt is divine, to finish is a miracle! lol
Old 07-28-2011, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

I always have several projects going at the same time, and sometimes had trouble finding the pattern or fabric or both when I wanted to finish. I found these larger zip-lock bags in the grocery store, so when I find a project I want to do, I put the pattern or magazine in the bag, along with the fabric - that way when I'm ready I don't have to go searching for what I need. I started doing this when I would pick out a pattern, start cutting out the fabric, have to stop and when I picked the bag up again, I didn't know what I was doing? I know no one else has that problem, but the bags go into a smaller tote until I'm ready to get back to that project. I don't know of any quilter that doesn't have several projects going at once. I get tired of working on it, have hit a snag and need to put it away, or something else comes up that needs to be done first. You are in great company.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:28 AM

I was told by my first quilting teacher (a nun) that the pioneer women had several going at a time in different stages. I follow that information to a tea!! (LOL)
Old 07-28-2011, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

I have never NOT had a lot of projects going at the same time. I used to feel bad about it but I realize that it's just the way I operate and it's okay! :D
Old 07-28-2011, 05:18 AM

You're describing my sewing life.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:18 AM

When I first started quilting only about 2 years ago I did not understand it...now I do. I am ashamed at just how many UFO's or PIG's I have. But like y'all say I'm in good company!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:26 AM

Yes, but I don't consider it a problem. Currently I am working on 6 different quilts. The reason I'm working on this many is because I decided to reduce my stash all by myself and each piece I cut into has different dimensions, therefore, 6 quilts. It is going very well and I don't get bored with one quilt.
What ever I feel like working on when I start in the morning, is what I do all day. Just this week, I have one almost ready to finish. I do Quilt as you Go method. The center of this one is ready to layer and quilt. Next comes the sides, still to be pieced-no problem, I'll do that tomorrow.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:33 AM

I recounted. I have 12 going. Hand quilting 2 that NEED to be done by christmas, one table runner for christmas, a charity quilt that I need to sit down with with my seam ripper (grrr!), the one laying on my cutting board (I guess if I leave it there, I can't start anymore), a denim circle quilt that needs more circles cut out, one quilt I'm waiting on backing and batting, one that needs backing and batting but can wait as I want to finish it for my wedding day, ya know, when I finally get out of the sewing room to find a boyfriend/fiance, 2 pinapple pillows which I'm counting as the same project and 2 quilts I'm collecting scraps for, a jacob's ladder with finished blocks being 6 inchs(such tiny pieces) and another scrappy quilt for my brother when he graduates in 3 years. It's kind of overwhelming. I don't know how some people do only one quilt at a time. But at least I'm not alone! :)