Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I've gone and done it now....

Blog Entries
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45983-1.htm
    I'm thinking there or the vintage sewing machine shop might have info on getting the old glue/musty smell out of the case. Try setting it in the sun - dryer sheets - there are other ideas out there - there is a FW user group on here too.

Quote Originally Posted by joym
    OMG...I got a real FW...it is a FW....whoopie. have to wait for the smell to go away so I can bring in the house and post a picture. Now where the heck will I put it!!!! I don't have room!!! :?
    Find something of your husbands and move it somewhere
    else and put your FW there!!! ha ha ha
    (just kidding) That is what I tell my husband when he
    tells me there is no more room for anything else in this
    house.

If you use search and look for featherweight there will be suggestions about the smell. The one machine I found last year was very clean but smelly. The biggest problem seems to be the animal glue used in making the case. Ordor Eaters (for feet) did the best job for me. Also on the bottom of the machine there should be a felt washer. Remove that and replace with some batting or felt until you can get a replacement. The odor on the machine will clear up fairly soon. The case is another story.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cizzors
    My sister brought her FW to me and it stunk! I got a large ziplock and crushed some charcoal briquettes (sp?) into it. Took the case with the machine inside, smushed the opened ziplock into the case and shut the lid as best as I could and let it sit on the patio for 48 hrs. Took care of about 90% of the stink. I think once it's cleaned of the old oil the smell will be gone.
    sounds like a good solution..... I will try it. it may be the case and it is no good so plan to throw it out. I wonder if I should take it to a repair shop to have it gone over and cleaned up ? I am always scared to take things apart myself. thanks for your input

It is difficult to get the musty smell out of the case but not impossible, but for the machine take off the bottom plate, check out the felt drip pad, that is probably the cause of the machine smell if it has absorbed the musty smell. Google "glenn Miller 221 parts" & you'll find a source for parts, he sells the felt pads, rubber feet (a good chance they are worn down), bobbin winder tires, etc,
    very reasonable.

Great pricce....join the 221 club!! Leave the case out in the sun opened, hopefully the smell will fade.

A working Featherweight for $120 is a great buy! When I got mine it also smelled so while cleaning it all up I also took off the bottom plate and replaced the inside felt pad with a new one I got on eBay. Though no more smelly machine the case it came in is another story as the moldy-musty smell of the old glue won't come out of it. I don't use the case at all but don't have the heart to toss it either. Good luck with your machine, you're going to love it!

Yay!! Good for you - you got a FW and what a deal!! Enjoy your new toy!

If the smell bothers you, just hold your nose while sewing.

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    That is a Featherweight and great price for it. If the case is in reasonable shape the smell can be overcome and if there are rips in the fabric cover, Elmer's school glue will take care of that. Dave McCallum's book "The Featherweight and I" tells you how to get rid of the smell and fix tears, fixing corners where the fabric might be gone, and then polishing with black paste shoe polish to give it an almost new look. If you get the smell out, make small muslin packets of shaved Dial soap to put in the box (about 3 is all you need). Hope your box is salvageable!
    Enjoy this great machine.

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltbeagle
    A working Featherweight for $120 is a great buy! When I got mine it also smelled so while cleaning it all up I also took off the bottom plate and replaced the inside felt pad with a new one I got on eBay. Though no more smelly machine the case it came in is another story as the moldy-musty smell of the old glue won't come out of it. I don't use the case at all but don't have the heart to toss it either. Good luck with your machine, you're going to love it!
    Read Dave McCallum's book "The Featherweight and I". His method of getting rid of the box smell does work. You might even find how to do it on his web site, www.featherweight221.com. I went to his class and learned how to get rid of the smell. It's been over 5 years now and no smell still.

I have 4 featherweights and one of them had been stored in a damp area because the bottom of the case was completely rotted and had fallen off. My husband rebuilt the bottom and I recovered it inside and out. This case was so bad most would have thrown it out. It turned out beautiful. As for the smell, it is really difficult to remove. I crumble up some newspapers and close the case up for a while. Also, I never completely close the cases because the odor becomes strong again. Enjoy your new featherweight!

To get the smell out of the box, I bought a pair of Odor-Eaters charcoal shoe inserts and put one in the box with the machine. After a couple of weeks, no odor. I actually like keeping it in there, as it provides some cushioning between the foot pedal and the bed of the machine.

I had tried a *lot* of things before the Odor-Eaters -- airing out, soap, fabric softener sheets (added a sickening sweet smell to the moldy odor!) -- and nothing worked.[/quote]

I am with you Prism99, I put the Odor-Eaters in my FW and it worked wonders. I now keep one in all the time. I have spares to use with some other machines I have that smell too. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Congrats on joining the FW club. Have fun.

Good for you! This board got me interested in FWs and now I have 5! Love each one of them.....so do my cats! Not only FWs, I now love vintage machines and collect them--20 and counting so watch out for the QB virus!

If you put the case out in the sun or trunk of your car and let it get really hot it will help kill the mildew/mold that is causing the smell. You can also wipe down the inside with a mild bleach solution. But the mold is in the glue under the lining so not always helpful.

I have found that this works better then just trying to cover it up with Febreeze or other deoderants.

Sounds like you got a good deal. Be careful it is very addicting.

Also, you can check the felt or cardboard oil absorber under the bottom and replace that if the machine itself smells.

Congras on your "new" purchase. Great price!

Have fun with your "new" machine

Congratulations!

Congrats on your new addition.... I'm sure you will sew many happy memories together!

Hugs

Blog Entries
    Neat idea, very creative!

Quote Originally Posted by joym
    OMG...I got a real FW...it is a FW....whoopie. have to wait for the smell to go away so I can bring in the house and post a picture. Now where the heck will I put it!!!! I don't have room!!! :?
    hahahahaha! Make room!! :lol:

We have an old Singer to sell on Ebay and here we will be lucky if we can get 20 for it. Nobody wants them!! (Including me)

Blog Entries
    I found a FW on Craigslist and the seller wanted $500! Said it had a rare foot pedal. When she sent a picture of the pedal it looked like an OLD pedal, and perhaps it was rare, but it looked scary to me. Machine looked great though. I passed on it. Would love to have another, but not for that price.

Blog Entries
    For all who are coveting a featherweight--I just saw one on eBay, bidding ends today, 8/19, at 15:37:19 PDT; was 143.50 + 23.26 shipping a few minutes ago. It includes case. (Having already bought a totally refurbished but "naked" one from this Board, I was just looking for a case of some kind, or I would have bid on it.)

Blog Entries
    A while back on this board there was member who had bought a FW and the case was stripped of the black fabric and the wood box was really nice and clean. You could do that and the smell should be gone. By the time you clean up the wood and maybe finish off with a top coat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast