Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I've gotten this far....

I've gotten this far....

...with this collage, but I can't seem to find a lot of information about what to do now. I've read a lot of "Quilt as desired." and "Meander to catch in edges" and "Place tulle over and quilt down." and "Never use tulle." and that's about it.

So, I'm at a bit of a standstill. Maybe I'll come around to a meander, but so far I can't see it.

Any ideas?

Watson

Name:  firstbackground.jpg
Views: 1808
Size:  605.9 KB

It's a gorgeous job! I can't think of anything other than outlining around the shapes with clear thread. I would be afraid to do anything with it if it were mine-I'd be afraid to ruin it. David Taylor does pictoral applique. He does small stippling all over his pieces. Maybe you could check out his work.
    Lori

Power Poster
    He (?) is awesome. Great choices of fabrics.

IMO - it does not need any quilting to emphasize anything because your design and fabric choices are so good.

If anything, how about a bit of "thread painting" using the way the hair naturally goes/grows as your guide.

If you feel compelled to do any stitching on the background, use vertical stitching to emphasize the board effect.

I just checked David's site. It's really hard to tell how his things are quilted unfortunately. His older works had small stippling all over them (he brought them to a class I took). It looks like his more recent things are quilted with more flowing thread movement. I'm sure whatever you end up doing will look wonderful.
    Lori

Amazing! Beautifully done.

Wow, a beautiful work and very happy looking doggie. Sorry; I am no help as to the quilting.

Blog Entries
    Wow, beautiful job. Your fabric choices could not be better. I don't think you could do anything to take away from this piece. Anything you decide will be perfect!
    Women are Angels. And when someone breaks our wings......... we simply continue to fly ........ on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that. OKAY?

Blog Entries
    That sounds perfect bearisgray! I could see it that way. Love the way the quilt shows a personality of the dog. Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray8090038
    He (?) is awesome. Great choices of fabrics.

IMO - it does not need any quilting to emphasize anything because your design and fabric choices are so good.

If anything, how about a bit of "thread painting" using the way the hair naturally goes/grows as your guide.

If you feel compelled to do any stitching on the background, use vertical stitching to emphasize the board effect.
    ​We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone.

That is absolutely beautiful, Watson. You mastered the expression and especially the eyes, which can be very hard.

When I took a collage quilt class, I got to see the quilts up close. Laura Heine tends to quilt hers in straight lines unevenly spaced with very fine thread. It seems to quilt them without disturbing the design. I've also seen the very fine tulle used. If you get the fine bridal tulle type, its barely visible.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I am in awe of your creativity, design & composition - and agree with the other ladies that the quilting should simply enhance your already gorgeous collage. I'm certain whatever you choose to do it will be a fabulous finish! Can't wait to see what you do

Christine
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    That is just beautiful. I would use tulle to keep the pieces in place, fine, maybe very light gray or black. The background verticak type of pattern; the dog following the contours. Whatever you do, it will look gorgeous.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Those eyes get me every time ... You've really captured Atlas in every way!
    I might even seen some familiar fabrics in there.

I've left you some notes on your other two threads.

Project One done ... and whom next? Your horse, of course!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Watson, this is perfect as it is! What a beautiful dog...!! You captured the soul of him! He looks so alive! I can't give you any advise because your talent is so much above my skill set.

That's gorgeous Watson!

You don't have to use tulle unless you want to. If you do, then I suggest you use a black tulle as the darker the tulle the more it fades into the background and it is less likely to change the apparent colors.

You could also use a very fine (like 100 wt.) thread to stitch around all the pieces to hold them in place. I use Invisifil thread (100 wt. polyester) it's very nice thread and my Sweet Sixteen handles it very well. It comes in a variety of colors, but I think you could get away with just a black, a silver/gray and a red. I think I recall that you said you'd purchased a Tiara? if so, that's pretty much the same machine as my Sweet Sixteen. If you have the horizontal thread spool attachment, then you will need to use that if you get spools of invisifil--- the thread on the spools snags on the ends of the spool if you try to use the vertical thread holders. If you don't have the horizontal spool attachment then get the cones (they come in a mini cone) and those work fine on the machine's vertical thread holders.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
    I am in awe of your creativity, design & composition - and agree with the other ladies that the quilting should simply enhance your already gorgeous collage.

Christine
    I agree completely.....Jane Q

Collage is not in my particular skill set but for quilting you could consider a wood grain pattern in the background and I agree with some thread painting in the fur. He is a real sweetie. For the fur I would use a 100 wt. then texture would show up well without a lot of thread build up. Like everyone else says do your thing.

It is gorgeous. Could you put it in a frame under glass? I wouldn't think you would have to do anything else to it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I think thread painting through the batt and backing flattens out the design too much. So I'd put a removable stabilizer under the head, and thread paint before making the sandwich. And I discovered this by the........ method.

I like the 100 wt invisible thread idea. I don't think it's necessary to define the hairs with thread painting. The expression is great on your dog.

Check out the Facebook group called Collage Quilter. I joined this group for inspiration, wanting to do my first collage quilt, still working on it. So many ideas, kind of like this board. If you post your picture and ask the same question you will get lots of info. Or just scroll through. Love your beautiful dog!

Absolutely ga-ga over this quilt, Watson! You got the expression perfect, complete with the catchlight in his eyes. I also love how you nailed the detail of the shadow on his tongue. Bravo. I don't think it needs tulle. I'd have to see it first to judge for sure, but it seems to me it could land on just the wrong places and cover up what it so good.

great job!
    Peggy

"Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are."
    -Chinese proverb
    http://peggybsquilting.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/322156861327018/

If you haven't discovered this site yet give it a try. There just might be some inspiration here. In an art quilt, you will want to go in your own direction but some basic ideas and jumping off points can be helpful.

Love your project so far.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    Have you seen the Heat N Bond Iron on Vinyl? Missouri Star has a video using this product. I have a lot of antique hankies I want to use to make 2 quilts. I originally planned to use tulle to help protect the hankies. When I saw the video using the vinyl I decided this may be the best way to go, I've priced the product with ranges of $19.95, $11.95 and the cheapest at Hobby Lobby for $9.99, for the same size roll. It is washable, but I don't for see the quilts being washed a lot as they would be heirlooms. It comes in a roll 17"x 2 yards. You might want to check out the video.

Awesome quilt. Check out rachelwright.com I bet you could get some ideas there. I just love all your work.

Blog Entries
    That is wonderful!!! I love it.
    Debbie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast