Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jacquard Inkjet Fabric Sheets >

Jacquard Inkjet Fabric Sheets

Jacquard Inkjet Fabric Sheets

Old 02-19-2018, 01:13 PM

Default Jacquard Inkjet Fabric Sheets

I am making my Mum a quilt called "This is your life" for her 90th birthday. I have printed all the photos onto the inkjet sheets and wondered how I would get these photos from loosing the dye if it was washed. I had heard that Scotchguard fabric protector would do - it -but when I sprayed it on all the colour came our or ran. Has anyone made one of these quilts with the photographs on and how did you seal the photo that it didn't loose its colour.

I hope someone can give me some advise.

Thanks so much
Old 02-19-2018, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

It may depend on your printer ink. I have seen online that the current recommendation is to use only pigment ink (only some inkjet printers come with this) because it is water insoluble, making the photos permanent. Here is a link to Amazon reviews that mention washing these fabric sheets:
https://www.amazon.com/Jacquard-Fabr...ews-filter-bar

Here is a good website on this topic:
http://www.gloriahansen.com/articles.php?p=1&ID=14

If you have already printed all of your photos, there may be some way to help preserve them. I haven't researched that. I think the biggest problem is that, if the ink is dye-based rather than pigment-based, it is basically water-soluble. I'm not sure there is any treatment that can change that characteristic of the dye. Coatings that might protect the ink will eventually wear off.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:51 PM

I've only used June Taylor fabric sheets, so we may be talking apples and oranges. On the June Taylor ones, you print it, wait for 10 minutes and then iron it well with a dry iron to set the ink (I used my HP color printer which has water soluble ink). If you plan on washing the item, you soak the page in water and then pat it dry it with a paper towel. Then, you iron it dry with a dry iron.

I found the June Taylor instructions on Youtube.com. You might find the instructions for your product there as well.

By the way, the pigment inks are less likely to run.

Here's a list of printers that use pigment based ink https://laserinkjetlabels.com/pages/pigment-based-inkjet-cartridges/.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:22 PM

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I am so grateful for your help
Old 02-20-2018, 05:05 AM

I let mine dry for 3days then heat set them with iron and then put wax paper on them with a hot iron melt he wax on the wax paper on the photo fabric and acts kind of like a batik I use this method on baby quilts works great
Old 02-25-2018, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by weatheread View Post
I let mine dry for 3days then heat set them with iron and then put wax paper on them with a hot iron melt he wax on the wax paper on the photo fabric and acts kind of like a batik I use this method on baby quilts works great
Thanks for this did you follow a tutorial for this - Im not familiar with doing this - thanks for any advise
Old 02-25-2018, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

If you use waxed paper, you need to protect your iron by using parchment paper between the iron and the waxed paper. Otherwise the wax will melt on the iron.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:13 AM

This is what Jacquard says on their website:

4. The image will not withstand standard washing methods - it needs to be treated for water resistance. We
recommend spraying it with Scotchgard™ or similar product. Use multiple applications of light coats, as a
heavy single application could move the ink. This treatment should not affect the feel of the fabric. Testing
for appropriate coverage is recommended. Rinse gently with cool water.
5. Let dry and then press if necessary. Now you are ready to go!
CARE INSTRUCTIONS:
Finished piece may be dry cleaned; however, due to the variety of printer inks in the market place, we recommend
testing a sample first. Pieces that have been treated with Scotchgard™ or similar products may be
gently hand washed in cool water.

bkay