Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 3160 >

Janome 3160

Janome 3160

Old 04-19-2011, 04:19 AM

I did a search and couldnt find an answer..
Does anyone have this machine and do you love it ?
I am looking at this and the 6500 however I am leaning towards the 3160 because of price. My mom was going to buy me an old viking #1 but we are having a really hard time finding one. and her machine tech of many years said you can not buy parts for them anymore. So we started looking into Janome's. The newer machines have alot of features that I want.
Any advice on the 3160 ?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:21 AM

Hi, I just bought this as my class machine because it's lightweight - the machine alone is 12.5 lbs but then add the foot peddle, cord, accessory tray and hard cover and it's 16, but still easy to take to class. I think it would work just as well as a primary machine.

It operates very smoothly. Has a little trouble going over heavy seams but I wil try the O2 foot on it (redesigned 1/4" foot for the Horizon to help sewing heavy seams). I love the included extension table. Love the needle threader, needle up/down and the thread cutter.

There are two things that I don't care for. The lighting is very poor (knew it when I bought it) but you can add lighting. The other thing is that the needle position only moves in .5mm increments. I have the Horizon as well and, foolishly, assumed that the needle would move as minutely as the needle on the Horizon.

Despite the above, I don't think you'd go wrong.

Funny, I have a Viking 1+ that I replaced with the Horizon (and an embroidery machine). I'll be selling my 1+. I just wanted newer technology and more advanced embroidery functions. But I am feeling a little sad.

Good luck!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:52 AM

I don't think you can beat Janome on anything they make. I love having a needle threader and thread cutter. I love the blanket stitch that it makes. The 6500 is more heavy duty but I understand why you would want the other one, too.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:39 AM

Funny, I have a Viking 1+ that I replaced with the Horizon (and an embroidery machine). I'll be selling my 1+. I just wanted newer technology and more advanced embroidery functions. But I am feeling a little sad.

Good luck![/quote]

That is funny that you have a viking1+.
Mom has a Viking designer 1 (I think that is what it is called)
another new viking and then a brother innovis
She gave me her little brother nx400 to use so I know what you mean about terrible lighting.

I am only planning on using it for piecing. I do alot of paper piecing so sometimes there are multiple seems.. Do you think it will sew thru those ok ? Also I do sew everyday.. That is the problem with the nx400.. mom said it wasnt really built to sew 6000 miles a day LOL ....
Do you think I would do better to save up and upgrade to the 6500? will it hold up better ?
All the reviews on the Janome's seem to be wonderful.. I dont think I could go wrong with any one of them.
Thanks for your help.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:36 AM

Do you need a machine to carry around? If not, you might want to consider the 6500/6600 as I would think they're more fully-featured and substantial.

I belong to a Yahoo group for the 6500/6600 (and they also discuss the 7700). You should check it out and maybe they could give you some advice. They LOVE their machines.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:45 AM

I'd like to ask the owners of the Horizon if they've had any problems? I've owned 5 Janomes and have loved them. The Horizon I had to purchase out of state because the Janome I had with me could not be repaired. I don't have an authorized dealer in my area anymore and I've had several things go wrong with the Horizon and am curious to know if other quilters are having problems.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by cmw0829
Do you need a machine to carry around? If not, you might want to consider the 6500/6600 as I would think they're more fully-featured and substantial.

I belong to a Yahoo group for the 6500/6600 (and they also discuss the 7700). You should check it out and maybe they could give you some advice. They LOVE their machines.
Thanks for the advice. I just requested a membership.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:07 PM

Seabreeze, I would be interested in reading what problems you are having with your Horizon. I own one, and there has been alot of positive out there said about them.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:25 PM

I purchased mine in AZ because we spend the summer there. My thread cutter doesn't work, the screen lights up but you can't touch the stitch regulator etc. I've contacted Janome so much they probably don't want to here from me again. It's still under warranty so I'll take it to the dealer there and am confident he'll fix it. As I said, it's not my first Janome and I've loved everyone. It would take too long to list the problems I'm having. I have a nice quilting building in my backyard but have lost all the pleasure of quilting. Plus, I still own 3 Janome's here and have one in GA for when I go to my daughters. Thanks for replying.