Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Janome 6600P tension issue

Janome 6600P tension issue

Haven't sewn in a while and finally got the itch to stitch and wouldn't you know there's a problem with my machine. The bobbin thread looks great, however, the top thread is showing the bobbin thread on top and the stitches seem longer, very ugly stitch. I've cleaned, oiled, changed needle, adjusted the tension dial lower and it hasn't changed a bit.

In my research, it was suggested cleaning the tension uptake thingies with dental floss. Tried that, too. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. TIA
    aka Gale

Is the accufeed engaged? Try to rethread both top and bottom. Make sure the bobbin
    thread is in that little slot. Try a different thread and change needle again.
    What thread are you using and what tension?
    What mode is your machine on? Check that too. Did you move the top tension dial?
    Hope you can get it to work.

Blog Entries
    The 6600 has a mysterious way of turning the tension dial down all by itself. I have actually watched it move. Every so often I have tension issues and discover that the dial moved to a lower setting. I swear it is possessed!

When you thread your machine be sure your pressure foot is up. This is true for any machine. Follow the suggestions here.

Tks, everyone. I'm using the 1/4" foot. Should the dual-feed be engaged, if so, it's not stayed engaged. I'm using Aurifil 50wt 2 ply and the tension is on 4.

Snip, that's hilarious and all this time I've been blaming myself for moving it, nice to know it's the machine's fault, lol.

I just re-threaded both top and bottom, inserted bobbin and off we gooooo! Beautiful interlocked stitch. I swear this thing has a mind of it's own. Good thing, tho, because I lost mine a long time ago.
    aka Gale

I never had any problems with the tension changing in mid stream. If that;s happening, you should be checking with your dealer/service.

I know you are back stitching OK now ... another thought ... did you by chance have the AccuFeed foot on, but not the pull down part engaged? If so, that'd sure cause problems with your stitching.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    On the Janome yahoo group several people have the mysterious tension problem. Dial turning on its own with no help!

QuiltE, sent you a pm. The accu-feed is pulled down, fully engaged, and comes off as soon as I start sewing. I'm using the 0 - 1/4" foot.

Snip, I truly believe I cause the tension knob to move during sewing because I'm not the most careful quilter, more like a bull in a china closet if you get my drift.
    aka Gale

Blog Entries
    I have watched the knob move by itself. There is a fix for it. Taking it to the doctor!

Oh, I believe you, Snip. I've just never seen it and can easily believe that I do it myself. Does't happen often, so not too concerned about it..... for now.
    aka Gale

Quote Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
    QuiltE, sent you a pm. The accu-feed is pulled down, fully engaged, and comes off as soon as I start sewing. I'm using the 0 - 1/4" foot.

Snip, I truly believe I cause the tension knob to move during sewing because I'm not the most careful quilter, more like a bull in a china closet if you get my drift.
    I'm not sure if you are meaning the metal part comes out of the plastic foot? Or if the whole plastic foot comes off?

Did you take the lessons that comes with buying your Janome?
    I'm starting to wonder if there's some little things that you are or are not doing that are creating the problems you have mentioned.

Whether you did or did not have the lessons, it's sounding like you would be best to have another round of them. Please don;t consider this as an insult ... just that now that you;ve used your machine more, you will take in more of the intricacies that come with lessons. Sometimes we get the training ... but don;t know what we don;t know and miss a whole LOT! Believe me, I know .... been there, done that!

Along with that ... have your service person give your machine a good tune up, and have it running fully and properly. By now, it could be things have gone awry, all innocently on your part. After servicing it, s/he will have some observations ... have him/her sit with you and go over those, to help you learn what might be causing your problems.

It's a grand machine ... a real work horse of a machine, in fact! Most everyone on the QB who has this machine, praises it ..... and many have admitted a learning curve was there only challenge to contentment.

You WILL love this machine ... once you get over the initlal humps and bumps

Blog Entries
    I had a problem a while back and nothing helped. Finally I used a different bobbin and it was fine. I guess my bobbin went bad somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by gale View Post
    I had a problem a while back and nothing helped. Finally I used a different bobbin and it was fine. I guess my bobbin went bad somehow.
    Or by chance were you using a bobbin that was for a different machine?

Blog Entries
    No. The only plastic bobbins I own are Janome bobbins. I have a featherweight but it uses metal bobbins so I'm positive it was the right one. Also, I'd been using that bobbin previously. Someone wondered if maybe it was messed up during winding or something. I tried rewinding it on the same bobbin and had the same problem again. New bobbin - no problem.

eta: to clarify-I have three Janome machines and all three use the same bobbins. I only use one of those machines on a regular basis.
    Last edited by gale; 07-30-2013 at 07:26 PM.

My tension dial definitely moves. I have had to tape it. Were you able
    to get yours fixed, snipforfun?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltermissy View Post
    My tension dial definitely moves. I have had to tape it. Were you able
    to get yours fixed, snipforfun?
    Not yet. I bought an embroidery machine and Ive been addicted to that recently. I did mention it to the repair person, just havent hauled it in yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post

I didn't notice it before but if you're using the O foot, that is not an accufeed foot so the accufeed should not be engaged.