Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Accufeed >

Janome Accufeed

Janome Accufeed

Old 03-04-2011, 03:02 PM

I also bought the accufeed 1/4" foot. In order to get a 1/4" seam I had to move my needle to the right at about 5.5, and it was still too big. With the regular 1/4" foot I just move the needle right to 3.8 and I have my scant 1/4" seam. It was also hard to keep the seam straight with the 1/4" accufeed foot. Got it & a stitch in the ditch accufeed foot from Brubakers.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by MamaHen
I also bought the accufeed 1/4" foot. In order to get a 1/4" seam I had to move my needle to the right at about 5.5, and it was still too big. With the regular 1/4" foot I just move the needle right to 3.8 and I have my scant 1/4" seam. It was also hard to keep the seam straight with the 1/4" accufeed foot. Got it & a stitch in the ditch accufeed foot from Brubakers.
Same in here, in fact Brubaker's included a little slip of paper saying to make sure you adjust the foot to 5.5. It wasn't mandatory to buy the singlehole plate with the foot. I didn't and when I used my foot I didn't change plates either. I tend to stay with the "O" 1/4" foot mostly and only used the 1/4" accufeed foot when attaching a binding to a fluffy quilt.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:22 PM

I've been using a regular foot and changing needle to 5.4 to sewing. I recently used the a-d foot which works with the accufeed and that worked well. I have the 1/4 inch foot and plate but haven't tried them yet. I see the benefits of it as that foot has the metal edge that goes down into the groove on that plate so that your fabric can't drift to the right at all. Will try one of these days, tho.
I did read somewhere that you really need to measure a 1/4 inch line from the edge of a piece of paper and set your needle to where you think is 1/4 inch, use your foot edge and see if it actually stitches on that line. If not you may need to adjust. The reason being that each individual machine may be off a hair one way or the other. Plan on doing that also (in my spare time, of course - lol) But, currently it appears my 5.4 is working as everything I sew comes out correctly.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by seamstome
I use mine all the time. The hole is different but I rarely change out the plate.
Me to, and I never change the footplate. However,the guide on my 1/4' tore through the fabric a couple of times and then just broke off. I didn't find it was all that good, so, now I use the foot without the guide.