Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome or Bernina >

Janome or Bernina

Janome or Bernina

Old 07-23-2010, 03:01 AM

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase either the Janome 6600 or the Bernina Aurora 440. I have read the thread on the Janomes and alot of positive comments on it. I would love to hear about the Bernina. The big difference that I see on them would be the Bernina has the stitch regulator but no accu feed. I have a long arm so techinally the stitch regulator is not something I need. I have used a Pfaff with an accu feed so is this somthing I would miss if I go to the Bernina and not the Janome. I am not gettng the embroidery unit for the Bernina. Any input anyone can give would be appreciated.

Nettie
Old 07-23-2010, 03:08 AM

I, Have the Bernina 440..love it!..it is a work horse..and nothing hardly bogs it down...Guess, what I am saying is it will sew through many layers....and will sew with allot of different thread cotton/metallic or poly and does a great stitch...I have heard the janomes r wonderful machines..I have a juki 98Q..there a great machine,w/ thread cutter....
Old 07-23-2010, 03:41 AM
Banned

With a longarm and no need to embroidery, you might wish to consider the 430 instead of the 440. It has just a few less stitches, no BSR and no embroidery module included, for a lot less.

Otherwise it's the same machine. I can't speak for the Janome, but the 430/440 is a wonderful machine! While I agree dual feed is very nice, reducing your presser foot pressure on the Berninas to abou 35 will give you perfect results.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:59 AM

I also have the Bernina 440 and it's my favourite of any machine I have ever used. I can use any kind of thread and it sews perfectly. Even using monofilament in the top and the bobbin doesn't cause a bit of trouble. I've never used a machine with accu-feed so can't comment on that, but I have never had trouble piecing with the #57 foot. It doesn't have a thread cutter, which doesn't bother me but might be a problem for you. I have several bobbin cases and can adjust the spares easily for things like bobbin work. I have never liked drop in bobbins though so it's not surprising I'm happier with the front-load. The stitch plate just pops off without tools for easy cleaning and the feet are equally simple to change. I'd also miss the free arm, which I think only the new Horizon has. I do use both the stitch regulator and the embroidery module, so they were extra reasons I first decided on my Bernina.

Bernina's biggest negative in my view is the price.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:16 AM

I, also, have the Bernina 430. I purchased it with the embroidery module and BSR foot. It was a trade in and I got a very good deal. I absolutely love my machine. I have one other machine that is 39 years old, that runs great. But I only use my Bernina. The only downfall is you have to have a computer to run the embroidery program. It is not that bad, but it is best to have a dedicated laptop just for the machine.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:22 AM

pfaff--pfaff all the way idt intagrated dual feed works++++++ janome has similar but i have never used one--threader +luxury thread ctter would be great
Old 07-23-2010, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Berninas last forever! When I got my first one, a 1260, the dealer told me that he was still servicing the Berninas that Royal Covent Garden Opera House in London were using in their costume department. They were all over 30 years old!

I have since bought a 730E, and I love that too, but still use my 1260 for basic stitching, as I don't have to wait for it to boot up as I do with the 730E. I have both set up ready to go, and often have one embroidering, while I am using the other to piece. I had cracked FMQ before I got the 730 with the Stitch Regulator, but prefer to use that, because it's so much easier, and more even. I don't have a dedicated laptop for the 730 it gets used for everything, but I wouldn't part with my Berninas for all the tea in China!
Old 07-23-2010, 10:14 AM

I have the 6600 and my other machine was 15yrs+ old. I cannot tell you the difference it has made. The accu-feed is absolutely wonderful. I love that the walking foot is attached, it has a thread cutter, knee lifter, etc.

When I went out shopping for a new machine I took DH with me. He's a Mech. Eng. so I had him ask all the questions to how the machine was built. The Janome is the only one we came across that was ball-bearing!!! It'll last a life time. A lot of others out there have plastic insides. Be careful!!! Don't just look at the bells and whistles, take a closer look for your own benefit and your pocketbooks.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:32 AM

I have the Bernina 440, and I love it. I bought it after sewing for 30+ years on my 1971 Singer. I told my husband that I definitely got my money's worth out of the Singer, so could afford to buy the Bernina. Going from a machine that only had straight and zig-zag stitching to one with the bells & whistles of the Bernina, there were many features that I didn't even know existed, like needle up/needle down, the knee lift, and being able to move the needle from side to side. And since I also make clothing, the buttonholer and button foot are nice, too.

I don't know what the accu-feed is. Sounds like a built in walking foot. Since I only use the walking foot when I quilt and bind, I don't see the advantage of having one built in, but different strokes for different folks.

I like the Bernina knee lift. Once you get used to it, it's a great time saver, especially if you are doing something where you need to keep pivoting the fabric (like machine appliqueing around curves and points. With the knee lift, you don't have to move your hands off the fabric, which saves time.

Whichever machine you choose, have a great time with it.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:41 AM

I have the Bernina 440 QE as well. I love it! It has taken me since Christmas to really get all of the things it does (embroidery, BSR, decorative stitches) but I am having fun learning. The store where I bought it from has amazing service & unlimited classes to make sure you really know what it can do. One thing I learned though is it need oiled & cleaned often...every 8 to 10 hours. My poor workhorse Kenmore rarely ever saw oil. Opps!!!