Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome DC2030 or Babylock Grace or or or? >

Janome DC2030 or Babylock Grace or or or?

Janome DC2030 or Babylock Grace or or or?

Old 09-22-2013, 05:16 PM

Hi, Kiffie,

You haven't overwhelmed me in the least! I'm really grateful for the advice, especially on the Juki's. I have yet to hear someone say something bad about a Juki; it's a brand that just keeps coming up. I've been considering the TL 2010, which (as I'm sure you know) is Juki's non-computerized line. Apparently it sews like a dream, though it only has the one straight stitch. Thank you as well for the advice on Sewing Machine Plus. I have no qualms about buying a machine online. My only issue is that I've never tried a Juki before and the nearest dealer is three hours away. I'm hesitant to buy something I haven't test-driven.

It's great to hear about your machines, especially the Singer from your great-grandmother. I guess sewing machines are like bicycles in a way: you have the one you use for just getting around town, the really fancy one you use for long day trips, the one for mountains, etc.

Thanks again--really really helpful,
aso
Old 09-23-2013, 12:59 AM

You are quite welcome! I agree it's definitely a leap to buy a machine you haven't tried before.. I don't think I've ever bought one that I did try before... I had sewn with my lqs owner's Janome Memorycraft 10001, which is not at all the same..I guess better than not at all..lol. I also know even the exact same machines can sew differently..for sure operator error can contribute to that (in my case..lol).
If you plan to do anything other than piece, quilt, or sew straight seams, I know you already know the Brother 1500 or Juki 2010 will probably not be your best option. You already are a step ahead by doing your research and weighing your options. Good luck to you, whatever you decide.
K
Old 03-26-2014, 01:45 PM

Hi, Everyone,

This was my first post on this site way, way back in September! I can't believe how much has changed since I first posted this question about buying my first machine! One thing is true: you have to take your time when shopping for a new machine, especially if it's (sort of) your first sewing machine. I ended up with a Juki 2010q and have not looked back. I love my machine! I'm also really grateful for all the advice here, especially the advice to take my time and test drive. Prior to actively shopping, I would never have guessed I would end up with a straight stitch machine that cost twice my budget. I had also never heard of the Juki brand back in the dark days of 2013 ! But, all things considered, I really love this machine. Have finished four quilts and pieced six more. The machine, though only a straight-stitch, is a great machine for beginner garment sewing too. I've sewn four skirts and one dress.

Sorry, I'm beginning to sound like a salesperson for Juki….

Those of you who warned me about the limitations of a straight-stitch-only machine were absolutely right: now that I'm learning buttonholes and the benefits of zigzag binding and sewing with knits (and, and and…), I'm coveting a second machine. But, I'm still so, so glad for the machine I got. I didn't realize I was going to fall in love with the challenges of garment sewing as soundly as I fell for my first love, quilting. I guess I'll have to buy a second new machine…..

(I'm actually coveting the Juki HZL-300, which Kiffie might understand. I don't really find the knee lift as essential as other folks, but the automatic thread cutter is one of my favorite things about my machine.) But, only ONE new machine a year!

Anyway, thanks again for all your support and great advice and sorry for the delayed update. It's probably totally unnecessary too, but I know I always like to hear what people went with in the end!

Best,
Aso