Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome and Elna:  Comparable Models >

Janome and Elna: Comparable Models

Janome and Elna: Comparable Models

Old 05-23-2019, 02:57 PM

Question Janome and Elna: Comparable Models

I know that Janome makes Elna machines but was wondering if anyone could tell me which Elna model is comparable to its respective Janome "twin"?

Mainly I'm interested in the Excellence line as it relates to the machines in the Janome Memory Craft line. Aside from knowing the Elna 760 is equivalent to the Janome 8900, I'm a bit lost as to how they line up.

If anyone would like to give kudos to their particular model of either brand, that would also be great. I have read plenty of reviews and positive feedback on the 6500 and 6600 Janomes and am leaning a bit more toward the 8200 and 8900. It seems the 7700 was a bit of a problem over the years, so I am not focusing on that model.

Thank you in advance.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

The best way to check how makes/models compare is to look at the specs for each, and compare.
I have no clue re Elna vs. Janome, but that is where I would start!

First came the 6500.
The 6600 was an updated version, with some definite improvements over the 6500.
I had the 6600 and loved it.

7700 was about the same time period, more bells and whistles.
I looked at it, but there was nothing extra there, that I wanted.
While you speak of problems, there are a lot of people who loved and are still happy with the 7700.

The 8200 and 8900 were updates again, of those earlier machines.
Similar machines, just that the 8900 has more than the 8200.
If I were comparing, I am sure I would zone in on these two over the earlier models.

That being said .... there are more models since those ........

You really do need to do your research, and do a side- by-side comparison of any you are considering.
Of course, there is still the $-factor to bring into the mix!
Old 05-23-2019, 05:26 PM

when I bought my Elna Quilt Pro Queen but had not yet picked it up, I googled the model on the web and it took me to the comparable Janome. Maybe you could do it that way?
Old 05-24-2019, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
The best way to check how makes/models compare is to look at the specs for each, and compare.

7700 was about the same time period, more bells and whistles.
I looked at it, but there was nothing extra there, that I wanted.
While you speak of problems, there are a lot of people who loved and are still happy with the 7700.

The 8200 and 8900 were updates again, of those earlier machines.
Similar machines, just that the 8900 has more than the 8200.
If I were comparing, I am sure I would zone in on these two over the earlier models.

That being said .... there are more models since those ........
I should have added that I have been looking at pre-owned models rather than new, so overall reliability as long term workhorses is a factor. In the end, I may just save up so that I can buy new and get a full warranty.

I have a pretty good handle on the current Janome hierarchy. (The 9400 and 9450 are beauties, but out of my price range.) As for the 7700, I realize that there have been ups and downs - but many owners love them if they get a good one. Because some of these models have been around for years, the 7700 would be more of a gamble compared to the others.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:10 AM

Yes...this is exactly what I was hoping to find! I had been plugging in the various Elna Excellence models hoping to find a random post on a forum that might mention its Janome twin. I hadn’t looked at Janome Flyer at all (I googled your particular model just now to see what came up and .) Thank you for this hint - and good luck with your new machine.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:45 AM

I have two Elna's and love both. My first was the 6003 Quilter's Dream. This has gone on many adventures with me, and can take a beating. My Excellence 740 is a homebody, but I love it. 11 inch throat, lots of bells & whistles, and very capable. Part of the reason my machines are still kicking is I have excellent service. I take it in once a year with heavy use, and every other year if I don't use it as often.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:36 AM

I have a Janome and an Elna and both are emb machine.s I love them both for diff reasons. But not sure how to compare them as my janome is 10001 model which has been on the market a while and the elna is a newer one the 860 Expressive. So either way you can't go wrong I also have wonderful relationship with my dealer and he keeps my machines in good shape even though I do not have them serviced every yr.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by SooBDo View Post
I have two Elna's and love both. My first was the 6003 Quilter's Dream. This has gone on many adventures with me, and can take a beating. My Excellence 740 is a homebody, but I love it. 11 inch throat, lots of bells & whistles, and very capable. Part of the reason my machines are still kicking is I have excellent service. I take it in once a year with heavy use, and every other year if I don't use it as often.

I have the Elna 740 as well, and I love it! Wouldn't change it unless I had no choice.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:43 PM

If it is a machine that has all of the features you desire, I would not worry about the company that made it. Unless , of course, there is a price difference. When I purchased my Janome I had not even heard of the brand and I have loved this machine for over 12 years.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:47 PM

Mic-pa, I am leaning toward either Janome or Elna next time around. Have heard so many good things about both and they have features that I really like.