Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Foot Question >

Janome Foot Question

Janome Foot Question

Old 04-11-2020, 03:46 AM

Default Janome Foot Question

Somehow in the frenzy of making masks my 1/4" foot and foot holder went missing. I turned my sewing center inside out, checked all my pockets and the washer/dryer, emptied all UFO bags and boxes (I don't have a huge stash) but could not find it, so my LQS sent me both for my Janome New Home Memory Craft 7700. However, the new ones are 9mm. They fit and work but none of the feet for the 7mm fit. So LQS sent me the 7mm foot & holder. The question is this: why does the 9mm fit and work? She will take the 9mm back, but the 1/4 foot is a little wider overall and is working well.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:28 AM

First, be sure you have the correct foot for your specific machine.There can be different models of the foot for different machines.

What do you mean about the 7mm foot doesn't fit? Does it connect onto the shank holder on the machine? Does it need an adapter screw to hold it?

Your dilemma is the same reason I now have 3 of the 1/4 inch feet. I thought I lost one and bought a replacement. Then found the first one. Then bought a 3rd one--- a spare to the spare. I hope you find the original one soon. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2020, 05:57 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by pbraun View Post
The question is this: why does the 9mm fit and work? She will take the 9mm back, but the 1/4 foot is a little wider overall and is working well.
I will look in a little bit since I have both a 7700 and an Elna which has the 9 mm setup.

I suspect that the reason the 9mm works on the 7700 is that the 1/4" is from needle drop to right edge guide of the foot in both cases. So the needle is still going down into the needle plate in the same location and the right edge of the fabric is still being guided at 1/4" away from it. It happens to be a coincidence (and a fortuitous one) that the shank height and shape of both the 7mm and 9mm machines are identical, which lets you use the 9mm foot holder and foot.

The reason the 9mm foot holder won't work with the 7mm foot is that the "gripper" that holds onto the feet is almost assuredly different. I do recall that from yesterday's sewing on both my machines.

It sounds like your LQS shop simply forgot that the 7700 was a 7mm machine (I seem to recall it's been discontinued for a while now) and they sent you the foot holder and foot for an 8200/8900.

Last edited by mkc; 04-11-2020 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:20 AM

Not sure about what you are saying is fitting your 7700.....You do need the correct holder for your 7700.....and you need the 7mm feet..... however, I have heard that snap on 9mm could fit our 7mm machines. I have both 7mm and 9mm machines and am worried I will get feet and holders mixed up. So I bought the foot carryall cases for each of my 7mm and 9mm. Love my Janomes.
Your holder and foot will turn up, I'm sure. Best wishes.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:35 AM
mkc

Just coming back to verify - the 9mm "ankle" (foot holder) and 1/4" foot from my Elna (Janome 9900 twin) fit my 7700 and will work with it.

The part at the bottom of the 9mm foot holder that grips the feet is wider than that on the one for my 7700, which is why it won't work with the 7mm feet that are standard with the 7700.