Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome machines >

Janome machines

Janome machines

Old 01-01-2011, 08:06 PM

Milkbone
What special bobbin holder do you mean?
Old 01-01-2011, 08:11 PM

Do you all not get the special screwdriver thing for the face plate? It is flat like a coin and has different size screwdriver things all around it. It makes it really easy to get the screws loosened or tightened. Much easier than any screwdriver I've ever tried.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:12 PM

Good question, but when I went to a quilt show with vendors, a Janome dealer was selling this special bobbin holder for machine quilting. I really like it, but I am getting lazy in my old age and would like to just keep it in the machine. I sometimes have to change back to straight stitching in the middle of machine quilting and don't want to always change the bobbin holder. Does that make sense?
Old 01-01-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by nycbgirl
Milkbone
What special bobbin holder do you mean?
It's a bobbin that's set up just for free motion quilting. It has a different colored mark on it to keep track of which bobbin case is which.

the difference is that the special holder has a different tension so it may work if you adjust the top tension to compensate. Never heard of anyone trying it though.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:17 PM

Thanks Gale----That is the one I have. I guess I will just keep on changing the bobbin cases----I don't want to ruin anything and I guess that is why they made the special free motion quilting bobbin case :)
Old 01-01-2011, 08:21 PM

I wouldn't think it would be a problem to sew with a bobbin holder that works for quilting. Just call your sewing "straight line" quilting. It's probably the low tension bobbin case they sell. It's useful when using thicker designer threads and such that won't go through the tension spring on the regular bobbin holder. Just try it. If it works for you, then good for you. If it doesn't, then you know, and switch it out for sewing.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:24 PM

I always lose that little flat "screwdriver"...so someone here mentioned using some of that clay like stuff that holds your pictures in place...on the machine. I think they meant it to hold the scissors, but I use it to hold my seam ripper and the little flat "screwdriver"... :) :) But I WILL check out Harbor Freight!!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
I wouldn't think it would be a problem to sew with a bobbin holder that works for quilting. Just call your sewing "straight line" quilting. It's probably the low tension bobbin case they sell. It's useful when using thicker designer threads and such that won't go through the tension spring on the regular bobbin holder. Just try it. If it works for you, then good for you. If it doesn't, then you know, and switch it out for sewing.
Thanks tjradj----I kinda have the same feelings---if it works, it works.....but I am chicken sometimes to try it. In the long run, I don't want to mess up my machine----I really enjoy my Janome and don't want to hurt it :) Happy New Year.......
Old 01-01-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by milkbone
I have 2 Janome machines---6600 and the Janome Platinum---and I hate the screws in the faceplate----actually I hate the angle the screwdriver has to be in to get to the screws. I can't wait till Harbor Freight opens----I am going to go get the screwdriver set---hope that helps.

One other question----on my Janome 6600, I have the special bobbin holder for quilting. Will it hurt if I keep that in for regular sewing all of the time? I do see a difference when I quilt with it compared to the normal holder but will I be hurting anything if I use it all of the time?
If you have the quilting bobbin holder it seems to be looser than the regular one and your straight stitches will be not as good. I forgot it was in and tried to do some fancy stitches and wondered why they were not coming out right! It does make a difference.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:33 PM

Thanks, Janie Q----
I sorta figured there would be some ramifications if I kept it in. Your explanation makes sense. Happy quilting :)