Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome memory craft 8200 problems.  Backing puckering? >

Janome memory craft 8200 problems. Backing puckering?

Janome memory craft 8200 problems. Backing puckering?

Old 01-07-2014, 03:33 PM

I have a 7700 and never had this problem, but I use 505 spray and the Accufeed.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:59 PM

I haven't used the walking foot yet because I usually do my quilting 1/4 inch from the seam lines, and its hard with this walking foot because of its shape.

I did large 60" quilts on my little domestic, and now I can't even do a table runner on this one, I guess that's why its frustrating me.

I'll try the walking foot this time and see if it makes an improvement. Thanks all.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:47 AM
Administrator

Are you using cotton batting or polyester?
If it's polyester, spray basting won't do a lot of good.
It might help a little on a small project like a table runner, but I've never had much success on larger projects.
the spray baste doesn't stick to poly like it will to cotton.
sooooo ... i always find that i need to baste much closer together if i want to straight-line quilt using poly batting.
as in no more than 2" apart.
of course, the problem might be me. you never know. LOL

regardless of the batting type, i recommend you get the open toe accufoot for quilting.
you can more easily see where you're going.
between the "walking foot" function and minute adjustments to needle position, you can lay your stitches down just about anywhere you want to between the toes.
i even prefer the open toe foot for stitching in or near the ditch.

as for the project you've shown us in this thread ...
the alternating "waves" on the back might not be what you wanted, but they do add an interesting texture to the back. the fact that you wisely chose to alternate the direction in which you stitched makes them look even more interesting.
look upon them as a serendipitous design change and decide to love them.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Esmerelde View Post
I haven't used the walking foot yet ........................I'll try the walking foot this time and see if it makes an improvement. Thanks all.
...... but the question you have not answered yet, is whether you have been using the AccuFeed feet?

You can get a plain stitching foot, SITD and 1/4" in AccuFeed Feet to meet all your needs.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
...... but the question you have not answered yet, is whether you have been using the AccuFeed feet?

You can get a plain stitching foot, SITD and 1/4" in AccuFeed Feet to meet all your needs.
Hi,

Thanks for bringing this up. After some Googling - it looks like my walking foot (looks like this one) uses the accu-feed but not my other feet.

I finished my new table runner, I was extra careful taping down the backing to the floor. This time I used cotton batting (I usually use Hobbs polyester) and the walking foot and this was the result on the back!

I'm MUCH happier. Just hoping I can replicate this with polyester batting. I'm going to look into getting the other accufeed feet now as it looks like they will help me out a lot.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Last edited by Esmerelde; 01-08-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

So I think what you are saying is that you did not use the AccuFeed ...... and what you are calling your Walking Foot is actually the AccuFeed foot. For clarity, I believe that you can buy a separate walking foot which is not an AccuFeed foot.

When I had my 6600 I loved the AccuFeeds and had the three I mentioned above and saw no reason for a separate walking foot. Actually I had four, as I had both the open toe and closed toe ones for regular stitching.

From what I understand one of the joys of the 8200 is that it is much easier to switch the feet than it was for the 6600s and some of the other features are fine tuned to make it even nicer to work with than the 6600. Here's to many happy sewing hours for you and your 8200.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
So I think what you are saying is that you did not use the AccuFeed ...... and what you are calling your Walking Foot is actually the AccuFeed foot. For clarity, I believe that you can buy a separate walking foot which is not an AccuFeed foot.

When I had my 6600 I loved the AccuFeeds and had the three I mentioned above and saw no reason for a separate walking foot. Actually I had four, as I had both the open toe and closed toe ones for regular stitching.

From what I understand one of the joys of the 8200 is that it is much easier to switch the feet than it was for the 6600s and some of the other features are fine tuned to make it even nicer to work with than the 6600. Here's to many happy sewing hours for you and your 8200.
Yes, sorry. The acufeed foot in the link is the default one that comes with the machine, and the demo lady called it the walking food. I wish she had gone into the acufeed more then. I had no idea you could buy other feet that use the same system!

The main reason I went for the 8200 was the quilting space (obviously) and all the feet and stuff it comes with as standard, pretty much everything I will ever need EXCEPT a few more of these nifty acufeed feet. Can't complain. It's a lovely machine.

I was pretty sure it was user error rather than the machine hating on me! Thanks again! ^_^
Old 01-08-2014, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

Glad I helped ... I didn't know all about the different feet when I got my 6600, and added them later. When I mentioned that I was not aware of them, and was disappointed they had not told me, they sold them to me at their cost!

When I switched machines, I studied all the feet and made my list of what I might possibly want ... and that was negotiated as part of the package in purchasing the machine.

Good Luck ... and enjoy!