Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome purple tip needles >

Janome purple tip needles

Janome purple tip needles

Old 09-27-2016, 02:13 PM

Default Janome purple tip needles

I just tried these needles in my Janome. They are awful for piecing, had to take it out. Seems like they are really dull. I kept hearing a little pop as if the machine was forcing the needle through the fabric (cotton). I was making four patches and it really hesitated over the seams. Are these needles not for piecing. Went back to my regular top stitching needle. This was in class as the teacher passed by my table she suggested I change my dull needle. I had only sewn two four patches at that point. LOL.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:18 PM

I don't really know about the purple tip needles so I googled them. One of the sites I found said they were good for sewing on stretch fabrics so maybe they are a ball point needle?

Edit: I just found this.

Red Tip Needle - Has a normal tip. Designed for regular sewing on fabrics such as cotton.
Blue Tip Needle - Has a ball point. Designed for sewing on knits and synthetic fabric.
Purple Tip Needle - Has a ball point with a special "cobra" head. Recommended for high density designs and thick fabrics.

I prefer a Microtex needle for most of the sewing and piecing I do.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:16 PM

Thank you for this info. I went to my local Janome dealer. She had these three colors. I told her I wanted it for piecing. She assured me the purple was what I needed. I won't be going back there , again.. I really dislike that store but it's the only one around with these needles. My next Janome dealer is 150 miles away. LOL.
Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I don't really know about the purple tip needles so I googled them. One of the sites I found said they were good for sewing on stretch fabrics so maybe they are a ball point needle?

Edit: I just found this.

Red Tip Needle - Has a normal tip. Designed for regular sewing on fabrics such as cotton.
Blue Tip Needle - Has a ball point. Designed for sewing on knits and synthetic fabric.
Purple Tip Needle - Has a ball point with a special "cobra" head. Recommended for high density designs and thick fabrics.

I prefer a Microtex needle for most of the sewing and piecing I do.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:50 PM

I use Schmetz quilting needles in my Janome with great success. Coupons at Joanns make them most affordable.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:32 PM

I use Organ needles in all my machines. Never had an issue with any of them and I just stocked up from www.wawak.com @ 1.39 a pack of ten. I just bought 400 needles in various sizes. Should be set for another year or so.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

True4uca .... You don't have to use the Janome needles in your Janome.
Schmetz are perfectly fine, plus you have a much broader choice in needle types and sizes.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:09 PM

The purple needle works wonderful when I am using my Janome for embroidery or quilting. It really does prevent skipped stitches in those applications.

I use Organ topstitch needles for piecing and applique. I have used Schmetz Jean and topstitch with no problem.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:17 AM

wow you sure got wrong advice
i luv mine for embroidery and i`musing themto quilt around motifs on a baby quiltusing poly magnifico thread and no breaks
i luv microtec needles for piecing also someone told me she uses topstitch for everything
Gale
Old 09-28-2016, 03:20 AM

FYI - Janome needles are made by Organ. Schmetz will also work perfectly well. Happy quilting!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559125[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 000301872alt1.jpeg  
Old 09-28-2016, 06:29 AM

I, too, use Organ or Schmetz needles in my Janome. Never have had a problem.